1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need the derivation/proof of the method

1. Jun 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The method given in my book is to find the square root of a quadric surds is to :
    Consider a and b where both are rational and √b is a surd
    Equate the square root of a+√b to √x+√y
    ie (a+√b)^(1/2)=√x+√y
    Squaring both sides we get a=x+y and b=2√xy

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm stumped how can we take √x+√y

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand your question here (in part 3).

Is there more to this method than you have shown? Does you book say anything more about x and y?

Also, when you write "the square root of a quadric surds" do you mean "quadratic surd"?

4. Jun 5, 2016 #3
    Yes I mean quadratic (mistake) and I mean that I don't understand where does the √x+√y come from (are we considering the value of (a+√b)^(1/2) as √x +√y?)

5. Jun 5, 2016 #4
    A quadratic surd can be written as [itex] a + \sqrt(b) [/itex] and the problem is to find the square root of the surd. The quadratic surd will be the square of some number of the form
    [itex] \sqrt(x) + \sqrt(y) [/itex]. Thus you equate [itex] a + \sqrt(b) [/itex] [itex] (\sqrt(x) + \sqrt(y))^2 [/itex] . Compare terms to get the value of a and b.

You can also think of it this way. We know that [itex] (m + n)^2 = m^2 + n^2 + 2mn [/itex] . Since [itex] a + \sqrt(b) [/itex] is a square it must be of the form [itex] m^2 + n^2 + 2mn [/itex] . We are dealing only with quadratic surds here so 2mn must be the irrational part of the square and m^2 + n^2 must be the rational part (since m and n can be at most quadratic surds).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  6. Jun 5, 2016 #5
    Thank you mastermind01 it was helpful

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted