Need to choose between analysis and geometry

In summary, the person has to choose between a graduate level differential geometry class and the second half of an introductory analysis course. The analysis course is important but has some issues, while the differential geometry class is related to their thesis and taught by their research advisor. They are considering teaching themselves analysis instead of taking the course, but are unsure if it's a good idea to potentially upset their advisor. Ultimately, it seems like the best option is to take the differential geometry class.
quasar_4
Okay, last question of the day, I promise ;)

I have to choose between two classes to take for the spring: graduate level differential geometry, which is essentially what my thesis is about (and is really important for my research), or the second half of my introductory analysis course. Obviously analysis is REALLY important, but there are some issues with the course - we don't turn in any homework (so I'm not getting any feedback on proofs, ever), and we don't use a textbook, so quite frankly, I'm not learning much anyway - what I do learn, I am learning from a textbook I bought and am reading on my own. So I figure I should take the geometry, and teach myself the rest of analysis or take it as a grad student... but...

would I really be crazy to try to teach myself analysis? Should I take it even though it's not a very strong class? The other problem is that my research advisor is teaching the geometry class and will be mad if I don't take his class. It can be a tricky business to stay on his good side...

so... what do you advise? piss off advisor and take less-rigorous analysis II, or stay in good terms with advisor and self-teach analysis?

Physics news on Phys.org
kind of a no brainer to take the diff geom class

I understand the importance of both analysis and geometry in research. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your individual goals and priorities. If your thesis and research heavily rely on differential geometry, then taking the graduate level course would be the best choice. However, if you feel that you can adequately teach yourself the remaining concepts in analysis, then it may be worth considering taking the geometry course and self-teaching analysis.

That being said, it is important to consider the potential consequences of not taking the analysis course, especially if it is a requirement for your program or future research. It may also be worth discussing your concerns with your advisor and see if there are any alternative options, such as taking the analysis course as a graduate student or finding a different course that covers similar material but is more rigorous.

In the end, it is important to prioritize your own learning and research goals, while also considering the potential impact on your relationship with your advisor. Ultimately, the decision should be based on what will benefit you the most in the long run.

1. What is the difference between analysis and geometry?

Analysis is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of functions, limits, derivatives, and integrals. It is more abstract and deals with concepts such as continuity and convergence. Geometry, on the other hand, is the study of shapes, sizes, and positions of objects in space. It is more visual and deals with concepts such as angles, lines, and shapes.

2. Which one is more useful in real-life applications?

Both analysis and geometry have their own applications in various fields. Analysis is often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve real-world problems. Geometry, on the other hand, is used in fields such as architecture, design, and computer graphics to create and manipulate shapes and structures.

3. Can I study both analysis and geometry?

Yes, it is possible to study both analysis and geometry. In fact, many mathematicians have expertise in both areas and use concepts from both fields to solve problems. It is common for mathematics degree programs to include courses in both analysis and geometry.

4. Which one is more challenging to learn?

This can vary from person to person. Some may find analysis more challenging due to its abstract nature and use of advanced mathematical concepts. Others may find geometry more challenging because of its visual and spatial reasoning requirements. It ultimately depends on the individual's strengths and interests.

5. Do I have to choose between analysis and geometry?

Not necessarily. While it is common for mathematicians to specialize in one area, it is possible to have knowledge and skills in both analysis and geometry. Many mathematicians use both fields to solve complex problems and advance their research. It is important to explore both subjects and see which one aligns more with your interests and goals.