1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job Skills Need to interview a Civil Engineer

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    1. What made you choose this type of engineering?

2. What type of equipment do you work with on a day to day basis?

3. What is your educational back ground?

4. What is your favorite part of the job?

5. What is you least favorite part of the job?

6. Do you need a bachelors or is a Masters recommended?

7. Are there opportunities for becoming a CEO with MBA or years of experience?

8. Do you mainly work with groups of people or individual?

9. In what type of environment do you work? Indoors? Outdoors?

11. Was it hard to get a job right after college?

12. Any advice you would like to give to students pursuing this career?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2
    Is it hard to find a job now as a Civil Engineering graduate?
    I am in the US.

4. Mar 30, 2010 #3
    I got my degrees in civil engineering but now work for a construction management firm (not as an engineer) if you're interested.

5. Mar 31, 2010 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't usually respond to these, but see above this time. i wonder what happened to question (10)?:wink:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  6. Apr 3, 2010 #5
    Thank you so much for responding. I erased question 10, but it was basically how many specializations are there is civil engineering. @bklynkenny you said you don't work as an engineer. Is that because you have an MBA now and work as a manager? I am really interested in management.

7. Apr 3, 2010 #6
    I currently have an entry-level position with a construction management firm. Put very simply, I manage the construction process on site working with directly with the contractors. There's no design involved; the engineers do that work. Most people don't have an MBA; those who do are typically higher up in the organization, just like those in an engineering firm would.

8. Apr 3, 2010 #7
    If you don't mind answering this question, would you say the salary is better as a construction manager or about the same? Can all Civil engineers work as a construction manager?

9. Apr 4, 2010 #8
    It's on the higher end of the civil engineering range. Construction management firms typically hire civil engineering, mechanical engineering and architecture majors (every now and then an electrical engineering major).

10. Apr 6, 2010 #9
    Thank You!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook