Need to interview a Civil Engineer

In summary, the conversation focuses on the career of a civil engineer and their educational background, job responsibilities, and potential for advancement. The speaker shares their interest in structure design and the use of technology in their day-to-day work. They also mention the importance of obtaining a master's degree and professional engineering license for career advancement. The speaker also discusses the challenges and rewards of the civil engineering profession and offers advice to students pursuing this career. They also briefly touch on their own career path and the role of an MBA in management positions.
Liketothink
1. What made you choose this type of engineering?

2. What type of equipment do you work with on a day to day basis?

3. What is your educational back ground?

4. What is your favorite part of the job?

5. What is you least favorite part of the job?

6. Do you need a bachelors or is a Masters recommended?

7. Are there opportunities for becoming a CEO with MBA or years of experience?

8. Do you mainly work with groups of people or individual?

9. In what type of environment do you work? Indoors? Outdoors?

11. Was it hard to get a job right after college?

12. Any advice you would like to give to students pursuing this career?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it hard to find a job now as a Civil Engineering graduate?
I am in the US.

I got my degrees in civil engineering but now work for a construction management firm (not as an engineer) if you're interested.

Liketothink said:
1. What made you choose this type of engineering? interest in structure design...not much interest in electrons or machines...or organic chem:yuck:

2. What type of equipment do you work with on a day to day basis?used to be pencil, paper, calculators, reference texts, and calc pads; now its computers, computers, computers, and for me, also still pencils, paper, calcualtors, reference texts, and calc pads... I don't fully trust the computers yet ..

3. What is your educational back ground?BSCE, MS

4. What is your favorite part of the job?seeing the the job completed from inception to final construction

5. What is you least favorite part of the job?paperwork...budgets, schedules...

6. Do you need a bachelors or is a Masters recommended? MS recommended, but most engineers I've worked with have BS only, some later to get a masters in business management..a good idea for advancement...and a PE is a must these days..

7. Are there opportunities for becoming a CEO with MBA or years of experience?definitely need MBA and years of experience..but most (not all) CEO's I have worked with were not engineers...

8. Do you mainly work with groups of people or individual? work individually in design, but always as part of a project 'team' (engineers from all disciplines, managers, environmentalists, lawyers, PR types, construction folks, etc.)

9. In what type of environment do you work? Indoors? Outdoors?mostly in an office...maybe once a week outdoors on job site or conducting inspections, and occasional out of state trips for several day periods

11. Was it hard to get a job right after college? not in my day..a bit harder now with the economy the way it is in the US...slow construction period...but still plenty of 'infrastructure' work...can't let the aging plant fall down...

12. Any advice you would like to give to students pursuing this career?If you like math and physics, go for it...the Civil Engineering profession is challenging and rewarding...doesn't pay as much, though, as the other engineering disciplines...chem E is still no.1 for salaries...but if you don't like chem, what good is it...
I don't usually respond to these, but see above this time. i wonder what happened to question (10)?:wink:

Last edited:
Thank you so much for responding. I erased question 10, but it was basically how many specializations are there is civil engineering. @bklynkenny you said you don't work as an engineer. Is that because you have an MBA now and work as a manager? I am really interested in management.

I currently have an entry-level position with a construction management firm. Put very simply, I manage the construction process on site working with directly with the contractors. There's no design involved; the engineers do that work. Most people don't have an MBA; those who do are typically higher up in the organization, just like those in an engineering firm would.

If you don't mind answering this question, would you say the salary is better as a construction manager or about the same? Can all Civil engineers work as a construction manager?

It's on the higher end of the civil engineering range. Construction management firms typically hire civil engineering, mechanical engineering and architecture majors (every now and then an electrical engineering major).

Thank You!

1. What education or training is required to become a Civil Engineer?

To become a Civil Engineer, one must have at least a bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or a related field, such as structural engineering or environmental engineering. Some employers may also require a master's degree in Civil Engineering. Additionally, Civil Engineers must obtain a license from the state in which they work.

2. What skills are necessary for a Civil Engineer?

Civil Engineers must possess strong technical skills in mathematics, physics, and computer-aided design (CAD). They must also have good analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as strong communication and teamwork abilities. Attention to detail and time management skills are also important for success in this field.

3. What types of projects do Civil Engineers typically work on?

Civil Engineers are involved in a wide range of projects, including the design, construction, and maintenance of roads, bridges, buildings, water systems, and other infrastructure. They may also work on environmental projects, such as designing systems for waste disposal or pollution control.

4. What is the job outlook for Civil Engineers?

The job outlook for Civil Engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 11% from 2018 to 2028. This is faster than the average for all occupations. The demand for infrastructure improvements and sustainability initiatives will continue to drive job opportunities for Civil Engineers.

5. What are some challenges that Civil Engineers may face in their work?

Civil Engineers may face challenges such as working with tight budgets, meeting project deadlines, and dealing with environmental or regulatory constraints. They may also face challenges related to the complexity and scale of their projects, as well as working with other professionals, contractors, and stakeholders to ensure project success.