Need to know the official name of these type of fraction problems

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving dividing fractions and the main idea of using the reciprocal to solve it. The exact name for this type of problem is unknown, but the steps to solve it are provided. The conversation also mentions a forum for help with displaying math problems using LaTeX.
rrbrisbo89
Hi,
I need to know the official name of these type of fraction problems?

This is what I wrote on a flash card I couldn't upload the flashcard because of file size.

Example problem -

4/3 times x = 6/7

These are the instructions I wrote on the flash card.

1. Divide sides by left (least) (4/3) number.

2. Cross out left number (4/3).

3. Multiply reciprocal (3/4).

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi BR89,

Welcome to MHB! :)

I'm not aware of an official name for this kind of problem, but I would say the main idea used is dividing fractions. Dividing fractions uses the idea that if you divide by that fraction, it's the same as multiplying by the reciprocal. For example:
$$\frac{3}{\frac{2}{5}}=3 \cdot \frac{5}{2}=\frac{15}{2} $$
Or your example,
$$\frac{\frac{6}{7}}{\frac{4}{3}} = \frac{6}{7} \cdot \frac{3}{4}=\frac{18}{28}=? $$
You already had this main idea written down. Can you finish simplifying the above fraction?

Do you know if there are any guides to display the problem like you did in the previous post?

Thanks.

BR89 said:
Do you know if there are any guides to display the problem like you did in the previous post?

Thanks.
We have a LaTeX help forum on the main page (almost all the way down.) http://mathhelpboards.com/latex-help-discussion-26/. You'll pick up the basics pretty quickly.

-Dan

Jameson said:
Hi BR89,

Welcome to MHB! :)

I'm not aware of an official name for this kind of problem, but I would say the main idea used is dividing fractions. Dividing fractions uses the idea that if you divide by that fraction, it's the same as multiplying by the reciprocal. For example:
$$\frac{3}{\frac{2}{5}}=3 \cdot \frac{5}{2}=\frac{15}{2} $$
Or your example,
$$\frac{\frac{6}{7}}{\frac{4}{3}} = \frac{6}{7} \cdot \frac{3}{4}=\frac{18}{28}=? $$
You already had this main idea written down. Can you finish simplifying the above fraction?

\(\displaystyle
\frac {6}{7} \times \frac {3} {4} = \frac {18} {28} = \frac {9} {14}\
\)

1. What are fractions?

Fractions are a mathematical concept used to represent a part of a whole. They consist of a numerator (the number on top) and a denominator (the number on the bottom), separated by a horizontal line.

2. What are mixed fractions?

Mixed fractions, also known as mixed numbers, are a combination of a whole number and a fraction. They are written with the whole number followed by the fraction, such as 2 1/3.

3. How do you add or subtract fractions?

To add or subtract fractions, you must first make sure the denominators (bottom numbers) are the same. If they are not, you must find a common denominator by finding the lowest number that both denominators can divide into evenly. Then, you can add or subtract the numerators (top numbers) and keep the common denominator.

4. What are equivalent fractions?

Equivalent fractions are fractions that have the same value, even though they may look different. To find equivalent fractions, you can multiply or divide both the numerator and denominator by the same number.

5. How do you simplify fractions?

To simplify fractions, you must find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator. Then, divide both the numerator and denominator by the GCF to reduce the fraction to its simplest form.