Fraction multiplication problem

In summary, when multiplying a fraction by a whole number, you should only multiply the numerator of the fraction by the whole number. Multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the whole number will result in an incorrect answer.
mathlearn
This problem is a little elementary,

If we were to multiply the fraction $\frac{3}{7}$ by two which way should I be using,

$2\left(\frac{3}{7}\right)=\frac{6}{14}$ --------------- 1

or

$\frac{2}{2}\left(\frac{3}{7}\right)=\frac{6}{14}$ --------------- 2

I usually multiply fractions using the method in 1 But looks like It is wrong,

$\frac{2}{1}\left(\frac{3}{7}\right)=\frac{6}{14}$ which is incorrect

I have been used to multiply fractions using the method in 1, So which one of them are correct to multiply $\frac{3}{7}$ by two

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathlearn said:
This problem is a little elementary,

If we were to multiply the fraction $\frac{3}{7}$ by two which way should I be using,

$2\left(\frac{3}{7}\right)=\frac{6}{14}$ --------------- 1

or

$\frac{2}{2}\left(\frac{3}{7}\right)=\frac{6}{14}$ --------------- 2

I usually multiply fractions using the method in 1 But looks like It is wrong,

I have been used to multiply fractions using the method in 1, So which one of them are correct to multiply $\frac{3}{7}$ by two

Number 2 is wrong because since you have $\dfrac{2}{2}$ you are multiplying by 1 instead of by 2.

Number 1 is also incorrect, what you're doing below when trying it out is to multiply top and bottom by 2 which is the same method as the incorrect "equation" 2 - you're going from 7 to 14 in the denominator for no reason

What you should be doing is:

$2 \left(\dfrac{3}{7}\right) = \dfrac{2}{1} \cdot \dfrac{3}{7} = \dfrac{2 \cdot 3}{1 \cdot 7} = \dfrac{6}{7}$

edit: if you have an integer (or something not written in fractional form - for example $e$ or $\pi$) you multiply only by the numerator

1. How do you multiply fractions?

Multiplying fractions involves multiplying the numerators (top numbers) together and then multiplying the denominators (bottom numbers) together. The resulting fraction should then be simplified if possible.

2. What if the fractions have different denominators?

If the fractions have different denominators, you will need to first find a common denominator by finding the least common multiple (LCM) of the denominators. Then, you can convert each fraction into an equivalent fraction with the common denominator and proceed with the multiplication.

3. Can you multiply a fraction by a whole number?

Yes, you can multiply a fraction by a whole number. Simply convert the whole number into a fraction with a denominator of 1, and then proceed with the multiplication as usual.

4. What if one fraction is negative?

If one fraction is negative, you can multiply the numerators and denominators as usual and then apply the following rule: if the two fractions have different signs, the resulting fraction will be negative, and if they have the same sign, the resulting fraction will be positive.

5. Do you need to simplify the resulting fraction?

It is not always necessary to simplify the resulting fraction, but it is recommended to do so to get the simplest form. To simplify, find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator, and divide both by the GCF.