Need to make sure I am doing these problems correctly.

• Thread starter Jdpaul88
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses measurement problems related to mass, weight, and unit conversion. It provides information about the mass of one gallon of English Bitter and pure clear water, as well as the conversion rates between pints, gallons, pounds, and ounces. It also gives examples of how to calculate the weight of one pint of English Bitter and one pint of pure clear water. The conversation concludes by suggesting that the method discussed is acceptable and wishing the person luck in their endeavors.
Jdpaul88
Measurement problems: Mass, weight, unit conversion

Homework Statement

There are 8 pints to a gallon. One gallon of good English Bitter, ready to drink, has a mass of 3.831 Kg. One gallon of pure clear water, also at drinking temperature, has a mass of 3.785 Kg. A pound, on the other hand, is anything that has a mass of 0.4535 Kg. There are, by definition, 16 ounces in a pound

a. How heavy is a pint of English Bitter in pounds
b. How heavy is a pint of pure clear water in pounds
c. How much more massive is a pint of Bitter than a pint of water in ounces?

Homework Equations

1 galbitter = 3.831 Kg
1 galpure = 3.785
1 gal = 8 pints
1 lb = 0.4535 Kg
1 lb = 16 ounces

The Attempt at a Solution

So, for a I took 1 galbitter= (3.831Kg/1gal) x (1lb/0.4535Kg) = 8.44762955 lbs per gallon of bitter. I then took 8.447562955 lbs per gallon of bitter/8pints
8.447562955/8 to get the weight of 1 pint of bitter? Is this the correct way to do point a? If it is then I can do point b, no problem. And for point c, I can just subtract and find the difference after multiplying the weights of each pint of liquid by 16 oz, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Jdpaul88 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

1 galbitter = 3.831 Kg
1 galpure = 3.785
1 gal = 8 pints
1 lb = 0.4535 Kg
1 lb = 16 ounces

The Attempt at a Solution

So, for a I took 1 galbitter= (3.831Kg/1gal) x (1lb/0.4535Kg) = 8.44762955 lbs per gallon of bitter. I then took 8.447562955 lbs per gallon of bitter/8pints
8.447562955/8 to get the weight of 1 pint of bitter? Is this the correct way to do point a? If it is then I can do point b, no problem. And for point c, I can just subtract and find the difference after multiplying the weights of each pint of liquid by 16 oz, right?

Your method looks ok. I didn't run your numbers. Good luck and Welcome to PF.

LowlyPion said:
Your method looks ok. I didn't run your numbers. Good luck and Welcome to PF.

Thanks for the input. Good to meet you.

Jdpaul88 said:
Thanks for the input. Good to meet you.

Cheers then.

Enjoy your bitters and beer.

So you think that this setup is fine?

1. How can I be sure that I am solving the problems correctly?

One way to ensure that you are solving the problems correctly is to double check your work. This could involve going through each step of the problem and making sure your calculations are accurate. Another way is to seek feedback from a peer or instructor who can review your work and provide guidance.

2. What should I do if I am unsure about a particular problem?

If you are unsure about a specific problem, it is important to seek clarification. You can reach out to your instructor or consult additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials. It may also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller parts and tackle each one individually.

3. Should I show my work when solving problems?

Yes, it is important to show your work when solving problems. This allows you to track your thought process and identify any errors along the way. It also helps others, such as your instructor, to understand how you arrived at your solution and provide feedback if needed.

4. Is it okay to make mistakes when solving problems?

Yes, making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process. It is important to embrace mistakes and use them as opportunities to learn and improve. Remember to stay patient and persistent when encountering difficult problems.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

To improve your problem-solving skills, it is important to practice regularly. This could involve solving similar problems multiple times, working on challenges or puzzles, or seeking out new and challenging problems to solve. It is also helpful to reflect on your problem-solving process and identify areas for improvement.