Pascal's Principle? Are my solutions correct?

In summary, a 22 pound baby sitting on a 1 ft^2 piston can lift a car weighing approximately 2,203.2 lbs. This is equivalent to 9.99 kg or 97.9 Newtons. If the baby's piston is completely compressed, the car will be raised 1 ft due to the transfer of water volume from the baby's piston to the car's piston. It is not necessary to convert ft^2 to in^2 in this calculation.
predentalgirl1
(a) If a 22 pound baby sits atop a 1 ft^2 piston that is connected to a 10 ft^2 platform via sealed, water filled pipes, how heavy and massive of a car can the baby's weight lift (answer in pounds, Newtons, and Kilograms)?

(b) If the baby's initial height on the piston is 10 ft, how high will the car be raised after the baby's piston is completely compressed?

3. a)
F1/A1=F2/A2 or
P1 = P2

Let baby sitting on 1ft^2 platform be P1 --> 22lbs/144in^2 = .153 lbs/in^2

Let car on platform be P2 -->
weight of car/14400in^2 =P2
--> weight of car = 14400in^2 X .153 lbs/in^2 = 2,203.2 lbs.

Powerful baby.

I assumed pounds in this problem meant pounds force rather than pounds mass. 1 pound force = 4.45 N so 22 lb = 97.9 N, and the mass that would give 97.9 N is 97.9N/9.8m/s^2 = 9.99 kg

(b)

If the baby\'s piston is completely compressed, the volume of water the baby\'s piston held will now be in the other piston - the one holding the car on a platform. First you figure out what volume of water would be in the baby's piston before it was compressed. So you had a cylinder with a cross sectional area of 1 ft^2 and a height of 10 ft, so that is a volume of 1ft^2X10ft = 10ft^3.

That\'s the volume that will be transferred to the other cylinder, but since that cylinder has a larger cross sectional area, the height the water will rise will be less than 10 ft.

Volume = Area of base times height

10ft^3 = 10ft^2 X H -->

H = 1 ft. The car will be raised 1 ft.

Are my answers/solutions correct?? Or did I make a mistake? Please help me...thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
weight of car = 14400in^2 X .153 lbs/in^2 = 2,203.2 lbs. Check this calculation. There is no need to convert ft^2 to in^2

BTW. STOP MULTIPLE POSTING. NOW. I just answered this one in the "Advanced Physics" Forum. That's rude.

What is Pascal's Principle?

Pascal's Principle, also known as the principle of transmission of fluid-pressure, states that a change in pressure applied to an enclosed fluid is transmitted equally to all parts of the fluid and to the walls of the container.

How did Pascal's Principle get its name?

Pascal's Principle is named after French mathematician and physicist Blaise Pascal, who first described the principle in the 17th century.

What are the applications of Pascal's Principle?

Pascal's Principle has various applications in everyday life, such as hydraulic systems, hydraulic brakes, hydraulic lifts, and hydraulic jacks. It is also used in engineering and science, particularly in the study of fluid mechanics.

What is the formula for calculating pressure based on Pascal's Principle?

The formula for calculating pressure based on Pascal's Principle is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is the applied force, and A is the area on which the force is applied.

How does Pascal's Principle relate to the concept of mechanical advantage?

Pascal's Principle is closely related to the concept of mechanical advantage, which refers to the amplification of force achieved by using a hydraulic system. In simple terms, a small force applied to a small area can produce a larger force on a larger area, resulting in a mechanical advantage.