1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need to verify some proof involving Green's function.

1. Sep 12, 2010 #1
    This is not homework. This is actually a subset of proofing [itex]G(\vec{x},\vec{x_0}) = G(\vec{x_0},\vec{x})[/itex] where G is the Green's function. I don't want to present the whole thing, just the part I have question.

Let D be an open solid region with surface S. Let [itex]P \;=\; G(\vec{x},\vec{a}) \;\hbox{ and } P \;=\; G(\vec{x},\vec{b}) \;[/itex] where both are green function at point a and b resp. inside D. This means Q is defined at point a ( harmonic at point a ) and P is defined at point b. Both P and Q are defined in D except at a and b resp. Both equal to zero on surface S.

Green function defined:

[tex]G(\vec{x},\vec{x_0}) \;=\; v + H \;\hbox { where } \;v=\; \frac{-1}{4\pi|\vec{x}-\vec{x_0|}} \;\hbox{ and }\; H \;\hbox { is a harmonic function in D and on S where }\; G(\vec{x},\vec{x_0}) \;=\; 0 \;\hbox { on D}. [/tex]

In this proof, I need to make two spherical cutout each with radius =[itex]\epsilon[/itex] with center at a and b. I call the spherical region of this two sphere A and B resp and the surface [itex] S_a \;&\; S_b[/itex] resp. Then I let [itex]D_{\epsilon} = D -A-B[/itex] so both P and Q are defined and harmonic in [itex] D_{\epsilon}[/itex].

Now come to the step I need to verify:

I want to prove:

[tex]^{lim}_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0} \int\int_{S_a} P\frac{\partial Q}{\partial n} \;-\; Q\frac{\partial P}{\partial n} \;dS \;=\; ^{lim}_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0} \int\int_{S_a} v\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon^2} \;dS [/tex]

This is my work:

[tex] ^{lim}_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0} \int\int_{S_a} P\frac{\partial Q}{\partial n} \;-\; Q\frac{\partial P}{\partial n} \;dS \;=\; ^{lim}_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0} \int\int_{S_a} (-\frac{1}{4\pi r} + H)\frac{\partial Q}{\partial n} \;-\; Q\frac{\partial }{\partial n}(-\frac{1}{4\pi r} + H) \;dS[/tex] (1)

[tex]^{lim}_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0}\; v\; =\; \frac{-1}{4\pi |\vec{x}-\vec{a}|} \;=\; ^{lim}_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0} \;\frac{-1}{4\pi r} \;[/tex]. in sphere region A.

[tex]^{lim}_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0}( P=v+H )\;=\; ^{lim}_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0} (\frac{-1}{4\pi r } + H)[/tex]

Form (1) I break into 3 parts:

[tex]^{lim}_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0} [ \int\int_{S_a} -\frac{1}{4\pi r}\frac{\partial Q}{\partial n} dS + \int\int_{S_a} (H\frac{\partial Q }{\partial n} \;-\; Q\frac{\partial H}{\partial n}) dS + \int\int_{S_a} Q \frac{\partial}{\partial n}(-\frac{1}{4\pi r}) \;dS][/tex]

[tex]^{lim}_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0} [ \int\int_{S_a} -\frac{1}{4\pi r}\frac{\partial Q}{\partial n} dS \;=\; -\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon} \int\int_{S_a} \frac{\partial Q}{\partial n} dS \;=\; 0[/tex]

Because Q is harmonic and [itex]\int\int_{S_a} \frac{\partial Q}{\partial n} dS \;=\; 0 [/itex]

From second identity:

[tex]\int\int_{S_a} (H\frac{\partial Q }{\partial n} \;-\; Q\frac{\partial H}{\partial n}) dS \;= \int\int\int_A (H\nabla^2 Q - Q\nabla^2 H) dV =0 [/tex]

because both H and Q are harmonic in A and on surface [itex]S_A[/itex].

[tex] ^{lim}_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0} \int\int_{S_a} P\frac{\partial Q}{\partial n} \;-\; Q\frac{\partial P}{\partial n} \;dS \;=\; ^{lim}_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0}\int\int_{S_a} Q \frac{\partial}{\partial n}(-\frac{1}{4\pi r}) \;dS = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon^2} \int\int_{S_a} Q dS[/tex]

The proof of the Strauss's book is very funky to put it politely. This is the way I proof it and please bare with the long explaination and tell me whether I am correct or not.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2
    Anyone please?

Am I even posting in the correct sub-forum? I tried Green's function both in the Differential equation sub-forum and also in Advance Applied math in another forum with no response except a Math PHD advice to go to Electro-Dynamics type of section because PDE barely touch this.

Please advice.
  4. Sep 13, 2010 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If all you need is a proof of the symmetry, there is a simple one, using the definition of the GF, in "Classical Eletromagnetism" by Franklin
  5. Sep 13, 2010 #4
    Thanks, I just bought it on Amazon. It is a really new book, used ones are just as expensive, cost me $80 big dollars!!!

Yes I can use one in between normal EM and Jackson book. It is getting hard to get help in these advanced topics.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook