Needed: Equation for line drag in water

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of maximum drag for a hydrodynamic object being towed by an underwater vehicle in salt water. The speaker is hoping for an equation to determine the maximum drag, which can help in determining the minimum line strength and buoyancy needed for the towed object on the surface. The conversation also mentions changing variables like line diameter and length to alter the final drag value. The provided link offers a method for calculating maximum drag when pulling a barge, which can be applied to this situation. The speaker is asked about the purpose of towing a boat from a submarine.
Tully
First off, a thousand apologies if this is in the wrong forum!

I have seen the other posts regarding calculating line drag in water for things being towed in water, however, I have the somewhat opposite requirement.. Here is what I know:
  • hydrodynamic object being towed along surface by underwater vehicle
  • depth of underwater vehicle: 30'
  • water type: salt water
  • line diameter: <0.25"
  • line length: 45'
  • speed of underwater vehicle: 5kts or 2.6m/s

What I am hoping is that someone could provide an equation that would give me the maximum drag. My thinking is that if I have the maximum drag then I will know the minimum line strength required as well as minimum buoyancy required for the towed object on the surface, right? I'm also hoping that I can change the line diameter and line length variables to change the final drag value.

As you can tell, these types of calculations are not my area of expertise, and any additional input/guidance is greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org

What is line drag in water?

Line drag in water refers to the resistance or force that a fishing line experiences when it is being pulled through the water. This force can impact the casting distance and accuracy, as well as the overall fishing experience.

Why is it important to have an equation for line drag in water?

The equation for line drag in water allows us to calculate and predict the amount of drag that a fishing line will experience under different conditions. This information is crucial for anglers to make informed decisions on the type of fishing line to use and the techniques to employ.

What factors affect line drag in water?

The main factors that affect line drag in water include the speed and direction of the water current, the thickness and material of the fishing line, and the weight and shape of the lure being used. The angle and speed of the cast can also impact the drag.

How is the equation for line drag in water derived?

The equation for line drag in water is based on the principles of fluid dynamics and the concept of drag force. It takes into account the various factors that affect line drag and uses mathematical formulas to calculate the resulting drag force on the fishing line.

Can the equation for line drag in water be applied to all types of fishing lines and conditions?

While the equation for line drag in water provides a good estimate of the drag force on a fishing line, it may not be accurate for all types of fishing lines and conditions. Factors such as line elasticity, surface tension of the water, and other environmental factors may also play a role in line drag. Therefore, it is important to use the equation as a general guide and make adjustments based on personal experience and observations.