Needing clarification on some notation employed in the book by Koralov and Sinai

In summary, the authors show how to convert a single summation into a double one by using the colon (:) symbol.
adarpodracir
Dear Physics Forums Community,

I am reading "Theory of Probability and Random Process" by Koralov L.B. and Sinai Y.G. and am having a hard time trying to understand the notation shown below (page 10).

In particular, what does
ω:ε(w)=x
mean below the second summation?

And how the authors could convert the single summation into that double one?

In this link, there is an image showing the notation employed by the authors:
i47.tinypic.com/jh8piq.png

As I am a new user, I cannot post links yet, so it will be greatly appreciated if you can check it manually.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration, and for any comments you could give me.

Ricardo.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Ricardo! Welcome to PF! :smile:
adarpodracir said:
In particular, what does
ω:ε(w)=x
mean below the second summation?

And how the authors could convert the single summation into that double one?

the colon (:) means "such that" …

so ω:ε(ω)=x means all ω such that ε(ω)=x​

the first step is partitioning Ω into classes with the same value of ε(ω) …

"all ω in Ω" is the same as "all ω in Ω such that ε(ω) = x, for all x in X" :smile:

Dear tiny-tim,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

Everything is clear now, but

Is there a theorem which says that:
"all ω in Ω" is the same as "all ω in Ω such that ε(ω) = x, for all x in X"

I did three examples, and they work perfectly nice! However, I would like to know if there is a theorem that supports it or if it follows from an intuitive idea.

Thank you!

adarpodracir said:
I would like to know if there is a theorem that supports it or if it follows from an intuitive idea.

Thank you!

obvious and intuitive really :biggrin:

let's see …

the theorem would begin "if ε is a function from Ω to X …"

how would you continue it? :wink:

I think you're right.

Sometimes the most obvious and intuitive ideas/concepts in mathematics come with demonstrations. :)

Ricardo.

1. What specific notation in the book by Koralov and Sinai is causing confusion?

The notation that is causing confusion may vary from person to person, but some common areas of confusion may include symbols used to represent mathematical operations, subscripts or superscripts used to denote different variables or parameters, or abbreviations for specific terms or concepts.

2. How can I better understand the notation used in the book by Koralov and Sinai?

One way to better understand the notation is to carefully read the explanations and examples provided in the book. It may also be helpful to consult other resources, such as online tutorials or textbooks, to gain a better understanding of the notation. Additionally, reaching out to fellow scientists or experts in the field may provide valuable insights and clarification.

3. Are there any online resources or references that can help me understand the notation in the book by Koralov and Sinai?

Yes, there are many online resources available that can provide explanations and examples of mathematical notation. Some popular options include MathWorld, Wolfram Alpha, and Khan Academy. It may also be helpful to search for specific notation or symbols on search engines or academic databases to find articles or tutorials that explain their meaning and usage.

4. Can I use different notation to represent the same concept in the book by Koralov and Sinai?

In some cases, it may be possible to use alternative notation to represent the same concept. However, it is important to be consistent with the notation used in the book to avoid confusion and to accurately understand and apply the concepts being presented. If you are unsure about using alternative notation, it is best to consult with a colleague or expert in the field.

5. What steps can I take to avoid confusion with notation in the book by Koralov and Sinai?

To avoid confusion with notation, it is important to carefully read and understand the explanations and examples provided in the book. It may also be helpful to take notes and create a reference sheet with the notation used in the book for easy reference. Additionally, asking questions and seeking clarification from colleagues or experts can also help to prevent confusion with notation.