Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neighborhood Retract of Boundary

1. Aug 22, 2012 #1

jgens

Gold Member

Here is the problem: If M is a manifold with boundary, then find a retraction r:U→∂M where U is a neighborhood of ∂M.

I realize the Collar Neighborhood Theorem essentially provides the desired map, but I am actually using this result to prove the aforementioned theorem. My thought on how to prove the theorem is to show local existence, show that you can locally extend a retraction, and then use Zorn's Lemma to construct a neighborhood retraction of the boundary. The only difficulty I run into here is showing local extendability. Can anyone help me with this step?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2012 #2
    I don't remember needing Zorn's Lemma when I had to do this exercise, but I think we were allowed to assume the boundary was compact.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by locally extending a retraction?

4. Aug 29, 2012 #3
    i think the open sets on the boundary are isomorphic to half spaces, if that helps any.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook