Neighborhood Retract of Boundary

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jgens
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Boundary
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
jgens
Gold Member
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
50
Here is the problem: If M is a manifold with boundary, then find a retraction r:U→∂M where U is a neighborhood of ∂M.

I realize the Collar Neighborhood Theorem essentially provides the desired map, but I am actually using this result to prove the aforementioned theorem. My thought on how to prove the theorem is to show local existence, show that you can locally extend a retraction, and then use Zorn's Lemma to construct a neighborhood retraction of the boundary. The only difficulty I run into here is showing local extendability. Can anyone help me with this step?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't remember needing Zorn's Lemma when I had to do this exercise, but I think we were allowed to assume the boundary was compact.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by locally extending a retraction?
 
i think the open sets on the boundary are isomorphic to half spaces, if that helps any.