Net force on rectangular circuit

In summary, the right hand rule is incorrect because the magnetic field around the rectangle is not in the same direction as the net force acting on it.
Alameen Damer

Homework Statement

upload_2015-9-6_3-20-28.png

Homework Equations

Right hand rules

The Attempt at a Solution

Am i correct for a? I drew my interpretations of the magnetic field around each section.
For b) am i correct to think the internal net force in the rectangular wire is 0, and the only force acting on it is that of the long wire at the bottom. And if that is correct, which way is the net force acting on the rectangular loop?

Physics news on Phys.org
For part a, all your forces have to be in opposite direction.
F=i (L×B)
For the bottom part, L is along ##-\hat i## and B is along ##\hat k##.
L×B is along ##-\hat j## or downwards.

Last edited:
Why are they in opposite directions? Does that not fit the right hand rule?

Alameen Damer said:
For b) am i correct to think the internal net force in the rectangular wire is 0, and the only force acting on it is that of the long wire at the bottom.
yes
And if that is correct, which way is the net force acting on the rectangular loop?
where is the B field stronger, nearer the long wire or farther away from it?

Near the long wire, then it must be acting downwards correct?

Alameen Damer said:
Near the long wire, then it must be acting downwards correct?
Since you previously showed that you could determine the direction I'm giving you a "Yes".

Ok, are the directions of the magnetic field around the rectangle wrong?

Alameen Damer said:
Ok, are the directions of the magnetic field around the rectangle wrong?
They're wrong.
Set up a coordinate system x to the right, y up, z out of page. Then evaluate the various unit vectors.
E.g. for the top left segment we get i x -k = ?
Learn the circular +/- i +/- j+/- k ↔ +/- i diagram for the signs. I find it a whole lot easier than twisting my hand and fingers into unnatural shapes ...

1. What is the formula for calculating the net force on a rectangular circuit?

The formula for calculating the net force on a rectangular circuit is F = BIL, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current in the circuit, and L is the length of the wire.

2. How does the direction of the current affect the net force on a rectangular circuit?

The direction of the current determines the direction of the force on the wire. If the current is parallel to the magnetic field, there will be no force. If the current is perpendicular to the magnetic field, there will be a maximum force.

3. How does changing the length of the wire affect the net force on a rectangular circuit?

Changing the length of the wire will also change the net force on the circuit. As the length increases, the force also increases. This is because a longer wire will interact with more magnetic field lines, resulting in a stronger force.

4. Can the net force on a rectangular circuit be negative?

Yes, the net force on a rectangular circuit can be negative. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the current. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the force when analyzing a circuit.

5. How does the net force on a rectangular circuit affect the motion of the wire?

The net force on a rectangular circuit will cause the wire to experience a push or pull in a certain direction, depending on the direction of the current. This can result in the wire moving or accelerating in that direction.