Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Networking Problems? LLDP Didn't work

1. Aug 20, 2008 #1
    Sorry, don't like using you guys as tech support, but I didn't know where else to go. I can't seem to get printing between my vista machines (4 of them) and my XP desktop, which most of my printers are connected to. I tried finding a network printer - it'll see the name of the desktop, but upon connecting it will say that it is an invalid host name. I installed LLDP on the desktop, to no avail. I don't know where else to go with this. If you could direct me a little bit, or even to another trustworthy forum, I would be greatly appreciative.

I also uninstalled Norton Internet Security and disabled my firewall - no luck. My ipconfig /all looks conspicuously short, though...I have a feeling that there's something wrong with this machine that is beyond the ken of mere mortals. So, I turn to you...

Here's my ipconfig /all, by the way:

Code (Text):
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Vital Points Therapy>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : FrontDesk
            Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82562V-2 10/100 Network Con
    nection
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-09-8F-30-CE
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.105
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
            DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:13:45 P
    M
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:13:45 P
    M

C:\Documents and Settings\Vital Points Therapy>
    PS, it's a small office; we're running some sort of D-Link router and we really need printing capabilities

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2008 #2

Bill_B

Gold Member

The only thing that jumps out with regard to your ipconfig is that your print server is being assigned an address by DHCP.

Do you have an address reservation set for it in the DHCP server? If not, you either need to reserve the IP, or give it a static address.

Otherwise, you'll get everything set up and working, then it'll break for no apparent reason when the IP changes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?