Neutral conductor has a hollow cavity within it

In summary, when a point charge is placed into a hollow cavity within a neutral conductor, the inner surface of the conductor will acquire a negative charge of -6.3 nC due to the attraction of the positive charge in the cavity, while the outer surface will acquire a positive charge of 6.3 nC due to repulsion. If the conductor is grounded, the outer surface will become neutral as the positive charge will travel to a lower potential energy. If the conductor initially has a net charge of +4*q, the inner surface will acquire a charge of -4*q, while the outer surface will remain neutral. This can be further explained using Gauss' theorem and the fact that there is no electric field inside a conductor.
TwinCamGTS

Homework Statement

a neutral conductor has a hollow cavity within it. When a point charge q = +6.3 nC is placed into this cavity

How much charge will be found on each surface of the conductor?

inner: -6.3 nC (negative charge being attracted by the positive charge that being put in the cavity)
outer: 6.3 nC ( positive charge being pused to the outer radius)

if the conductor is grounded.

Charge on conductor surfaces:
inner: -6.3nC (negative charge being attracted by the positive charge that being put in the cavity)
outer: 0 nC ( because its being grounded, so positive charge travel to lower potential energy)

If the conductor was initially not neutral but has its own net charge of q2 = +4·q

inner: . nC
outer: . nC

Homework Equations

no equation, its aconceptual questions

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought since the conductor is has more charge +4*q than the point charge , that means it will have -4*q as well. that means the point charge will not be able to pull electron near it. so inside charge will be -0 charge and outside will be +6.3
but I am wrong

then i think, well, maybe the point charge will be able to pull a fraction of - charge towards the cavity, so the charge inside will be -6.3 and outside will be 3*(6.3)=18.9

its wrong too

can someone kindly explain it to me? thank you for your time and reply

Physics news on Phys.org
TwinCamGTS said:

Homework Statement

a neutral conductor has a hollow cavity within it. When a point charge q = +6.3 nC is placed into this cavity

How much charge will be found on each surface of the conductor?

inner: -6.3 nC (negative charge being attracted by the positive charge that being put in the cavity)
outer: 6.3 nC ( positive charge being pused to the outer radius)

if the conductor is grounded.

inner: -6.3nC (negative charge being attracted by the positive charge that being put in the cavity)
outer: 0 nC ( because its being grounded, so positive charge travel to lower potential energy)

If the conductor was initially not neutral but has its own net charge of q2 = +4·q

inner: . nC
outer: . nC

Homework Equations

no equation, its aconceptual questions

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought since the conductor is has more charge +4*q than the point charge , that means it will have -4*q as well. that means the point charge will not be able to pull electron near it. so inside charge will be -0 charge and outside will be +6.3
but I am wrong

then i think, well, maybe the point charge will be able to pull a fraction of - charge towards the cavity, so the charge inside will be -6.3 and outside will be 3*(6.3)=18.9

its wrong too

can someone kindly explain it to me? thank you for your time and reply

You can think about this a little more accurately if you use use the Gauss theorem. What does that say? Add to that there is no electric field inside of a conductor.

1. What is a neutral conductor?

A neutral conductor is an electrical conductor that is used to carry electric current without being connected to a voltage source. It is typically made of a material with low resistance, such as copper or aluminum.

2. What is a hollow cavity within a neutral conductor?

A hollow cavity within a neutral conductor refers to an empty space or void within the conductor itself. This can occur due to the manufacturing process or as a result of wear and tear over time.

3. Why does a neutral conductor have a hollow cavity?

A neutral conductor may have a hollow cavity due to the manufacturing process, where a solid conductor is formed into a hollow shape. It can also occur as a result of corrosion or physical damage to the conductor.

4. Can a neutral conductor with a hollow cavity still function effectively?

Yes, a neutral conductor with a hollow cavity can still function effectively as long as the cavity does not affect its overall conductivity. However, if the cavity is too large, it may impact the conductor's ability to carry electric current.

5. Is a neutral conductor with a hollow cavity safe to use?

Generally, a neutral conductor with a small hollow cavity should not pose any safety risks. However, if the cavity is large enough to cause a significant decrease in conductivity, it may lead to overheating and potentially pose a safety hazard. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain neutral conductors to ensure their safety and functionality.