1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutral conductor has a hollow cavity within it

1. Mar 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a neutral conductor has a hollow cavity within it. When a point charge q = +6.3 nC is placed into this cavity

How much charge will be found on each surface of the conductor?

inner: -6.3 nC (negative charge being attracted by the positive charge that being put in the cavity)
    outer: 6.3 nC ( positive charge being pused to the outer radius)

if the conductor is grounded.

Charge on conductor surfaces:
    inner: -6.3nC (negative charge being attracted by the positive charge that being put in the cavity)
    outer: 0 nC ( because its being grounded, so positive charge travel to lower potential energy)

If the conductor was initially not neutral but has its own net charge of q2 = +4·q

Charge on conductor surfaces:
    inner: . nC
    outer: . nC

2. Relevant equations

no equation, its aconceptual questions

3. The attempt at a solution

i thought since the conductor is has more charge +4*q than the point charge , that means it will have -4*q as well. that means the point charge will not be able to pull electron near it. so inside charge will be -0 charge and outside will be +6.3
    but im wrong

then i think, well, maybe the point charge will be able to pull a fraction of - charge towards the cavity, so the charge inside will be -6.3 and outside will be 3*(6.3)=18.9

its wrong too

can someone kindly explain it to me? thank you for your time and reply

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can think about this a little more accurately if you use use the Gauss theorem. What does that say? Add to that there is no electric field inside of a conductor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted