1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutral isotopes of atom, state possible value for A & Z?

1. Apr 3, 2015 #1

CAH

A neutral atom of radium isotope may be represented by:
    Ra (88 proton number, 228 nucleon number).

A
    Ra (A:nucleon number, Z: proton number).
    Z
    ...Is a neutral atom of different isotope of radium. State a possible value for A and for Z.

I know that neutral means the number of protons will be the same as electrons so net charge=0 but Im confused as to why (in the mark scheme) it shows: 228 ± 10.
    I know the proton number will stay the same, but why is the nucleon number only plus or minus 10??

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2015 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Where does it show 228 ± 10?

(Also, if this is a homework question, it should be posted in the appropriate homework forum and the homework template should be used. If it isn't, a reference for the source material you are getting this from would be helpful.)

4. Apr 3, 2015 #3

CAH

5. Apr 3, 2015 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Exam questions are treated the same as homework here on PF. I have closed this thread; please re-post a new thread in the homework forum with the template filled out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook