Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutralize chlorine solution with sodium percarbonate solution

1. Dec 24, 2011 #1
    Hello,

Would it be feasible to neutralize the effects of a 3% sodium hypochlorite and water solution by adding an appropriate proportion of an 85% sodium percarbonate powder and water? What would the appropriate proportion be to facilitate this premise? Would the resulting reaction be safe if performed in an open outside environment?

I will be using the chlorine solution to clean algae off of my roof but i am worried the SH solution will damage my plants. So the idea is to soak the surrounding vegetation with a sodium percarbonate and water solution that is proportionally correct to accomplish this task.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Unless I am missing something you are talking about two oxidizing agents, so no, I don't see how it could work.

4. Dec 24, 2011 #3
    Hmm, I have seen experiments done with chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) and hydrogen peroxide (H202) with the product of the reaction being a release of 02 and salt water. Based on that, I figured that mixing the two mentioned solutions would have a similar end result.

5. Dec 25, 2011 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

On the second thought, in correct conditions hydrogen peroxide can work as a reducing agent. Still, I don't like the outcome - as it is impossible to follow the exact stoichiometry, you are left with the excess of either hypochlorite of peroxide, neither is a thing I would like on my grass. If anything, sodium sulfite would be much safer, at least IMHO.

6. Jan 19, 2012 #5
    OK, there are heavy metals that decompose NaOCl, but I agree (especially Copper Oxide and other copper salts which are generally deadly to lower organisms, fungi, fish,...) you may not want on your lawn.

However, Fe2O3 will also decompose, albeit slowly, NaOCl and Iron is certainly more acceptable.

The ultimate green solution is to expose the NaOCl to direct sunlight, resulting in NaCl and liberating O2. However, in diffused light it is possible that some Sodium Chlorate (a weed killer) will be formed (as a result of the disproportionation of the NaClO).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook