Neutralize chlorine solution with sodium percarbonate solution

In summary, the idea is to add an appropriate proportion of an 85% sodium percarbonate and water solution to neutralize the effects of a 3% sodium hypochlorite and water solution. The resulting reaction would be safe if performed in an open outside environment.
xilix
Hello,

Would it be feasible to neutralize the effects of a 3% sodium hypochlorite and water solution by adding an appropriate proportion of an 85% sodium percarbonate powder and water? What would the appropriate proportion be to facilitate this premise? Would the resulting reaction be safe if performed in an open outside environment?

I will be using the chlorine solution to clean algae off of my roof but i am worried the SH solution will damage my plants. So the idea is to soak the surrounding vegetation with a sodium percarbonate and water solution that is proportionally correct to accomplish this task.

Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Unless I am missing something you are talking about two oxidizing agents, so no, I don't see how it could work.

Hmm, I have seen experiments done with chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) and hydrogen peroxide (H202) with the product of the reaction being a release of 02 and salt water. Based on that, I figured that mixing the two mentioned solutions would have a similar end result.

On the second thought, in correct conditions hydrogen peroxide can work as a reducing agent. Still, I don't like the outcome - as it is impossible to follow the exact stoichiometry, you are left with the excess of either hypochlorite of peroxide, neither is a thing I would like on my grass. If anything, sodium sulfite would be much safer, at least IMHO.

OK, there are heavy metals that decompose NaOCl, but I agree (especially Copper Oxide and other copper salts which are generally deadly to lower organisms, fungi, fish,...) you may not want on your lawn.

However, Fe2O3 will also decompose, albeit slowly, NaOCl and Iron is certainly more acceptable.

The ultimate green solution is to expose the NaOCl to direct sunlight, resulting in NaCl and liberating O2. However, in diffused light it is possible that some Sodium Chlorate (a weed killer) will be formed (as a result of the disproportionation of the NaClO).

1. How does sodium percarbonate neutralize chlorine solution?

Sodium percarbonate, when dissolved in water, releases hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide acts as a reducing agent and reacts with the chlorine in the solution, converting it into chloride ions and water. This effectively neutralizes the chlorine solution.

2. Can I use any amount of sodium percarbonate to neutralize chlorine solution?

No, it is important to use the appropriate amount of sodium percarbonate to neutralize chlorine. The recommended ratio is 0.5 grams of sodium percarbonate per 1 mg/L of free chlorine in the solution. Using too much or too little may result in ineffective neutralization.

3. Is it safe to handle sodium percarbonate?

While sodium percarbonate is generally safe to handle, it is important to follow proper safety precautions. This includes wearing protective equipment such as gloves and goggles, and avoiding contact with skin or eyes. In case of accidental ingestion, seek medical attention immediately.

4. Can I mix sodium percarbonate directly with chlorine solution?

No, it is not recommended to mix sodium percarbonate directly with chlorine solution. This may result in a violent reaction and release of harmful gases. It is best to dissolve sodium percarbonate in water first, and then add it to the chlorine solution.

5. Are there any other alternatives to neutralize chlorine besides sodium percarbonate?

Yes, there are other alternatives to neutralize chlorine such as ascorbic acid (vitamin C) or sodium thiosulfate. However, these may not be as effective as sodium percarbonate and may require larger quantities to achieve the same result. It is important to carefully follow instructions and use the appropriate amount for the specific chlorine solution being neutralized.