Converting sodium percarbonate to hydrogen peroxide

In summary: I have been using. In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of obtaining hydrogen peroxide and the use of sodium percarbonate powder as an alternative for removing blood stains on cotton fabrics. The question is asked about the ratio of water to powder needed for a similar concentration of hydrogen peroxide and if the presence of soda ash in the powder could affect its effectiveness. The person also mentions their lack of knowledge in physics and requests answers to be formulated accordingly.
Muddy37
I noticed a previous thread on the above subject in this forum.

For several years now, I have used 30% concentration hydrogen peroxide mixed with a few drops of ammonia to very great effect* for dealing with blood stains on cotton fabrics (on sheets—a recurring problem for me) by soaking the stains for a minute or two in the above solution. With this new age of terrorism, it is unfortunately becoming increasingly difficult (and very expensive) to get hold of H2O2 (at least where I live in Belgium). My question: I have recently bought a bottle of Sodium Percarbonate powder which I think is 100% pure. What ratio of water to powder would be necessary to obtain a similar H2O2 concentration to the H2O2 concentration I have been using up until now? And, if you know the answer, is there a possibility that the presence of soda ash (present in sodium percarbonate) could compromise the efficacity of this proposed method in relation to my method up until now?

Please note that I am an ignoramus regarding all things related to physics :frown: so answers will necessarily need to be formulated with this in mind.

Thanks!

*and previously an even stronger concentration (50%? I can't remember) to even greater effect

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hmm, I thought H2O2 is regularly available from hairdresser suppliers as a non corrosive bleaching agent, things may have changed though.

rootone said:
Hmm, I thought H2O2 is regularly available from hairdresser suppliers as a non corrosive bleaching agent, things may have changed though.
But not 30%

1. What is sodium percarbonate and how is it different from hydrogen peroxide?

Sodium percarbonate is a chemical compound composed of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. It is different from hydrogen peroxide because it is a solid form of hydrogen peroxide and contains an additional sodium component.

2. How can sodium percarbonate be converted to hydrogen peroxide?

Sodium percarbonate can be converted to hydrogen peroxide by simply dissolving it in water. When sodium percarbonate is dissolved in water, it breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate.

3. What are the benefits of converting sodium percarbonate to hydrogen peroxide?

Converting sodium percarbonate to hydrogen peroxide can be beneficial in certain applications where a liquid form of hydrogen peroxide is required. It also allows for easier handling and storage of the chemical.

4. Is it safe to convert sodium percarbonate to hydrogen peroxide?

Yes, it is generally safe to convert sodium percarbonate to hydrogen peroxide as long as proper safety precautions are taken. Care should be taken to avoid direct contact with the chemicals and to follow recommended handling and storage procedures.

5. Can the converted hydrogen peroxide be used for medical purposes?

No, the converted hydrogen peroxide should not be used for medical purposes. Sodium percarbonate may contain impurities that can be harmful if ingested. It is not meant for internal use and should only be used for industrial or household purposes.