1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutralizing a basic reaction with HCl

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am reacting methyl salicylate with sodium hydroxide to produce salicylic acid. However, first it is important to add acid to neutralize the very basic solution.

My question is, when determining the amount of HCl to add, do I need to take into consideration the methyl salicylate? Or am I just basing it off of the amount of sodium hydroxide I add?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2
    Can you simply add the HCl drop-wise until your pH probe or paper yields a neutral result?

4. Sep 6, 2011 #3
    No, I am supposed to calculate the number before coming to lab.

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Think what reactions take place and what substances are present in the mix when you start adding acid. This is just a simple stoichiometry.

The only tricky part is whether you want to just neutralize, or to acidify to protonate salicylic acid. That depends on the procedure you are going to follow.

6. Sep 7, 2011 #5
    So if I am just trying to neutralize, and if I have 120 mmoles of NaOH, then I would need 120 mmoles of HCl to neutralize, right?

7. Sep 7, 2011 #6

Borek

IFF you have 120 mmoles of NaOH - yes.

8. Sep 8, 2011 #7

NascentOxygen

Is this any different to just starting with a saline solution? Perhaps with 2 or 3 drops of acid or alkali added to tilt the pH one way or the other?

9. Sep 8, 2011 #8

Borek

First, you won't get pH high enough. Second, write reaction equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook