Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutron Absortion cross section for an element

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    I recently saw the Evaluated Nuclear Data File provided by Brookhaven national lab., where in i saw the plot of "Neutron Energy Vs cross section (total)" for different elements. http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/sigma/index.jsp?as=1&lib=endfb7.0&nsub=10

Now what i am interested in is, can we derive or get the asbsorption c/s, scattering c/s (elastic and inelastic) out of this total c/s "for any element" (i mean can we seperate out absorption c/s,scattering c/s out of total c.s.). If possible how..? let me know if there are any links..

Thank you
    sm.malkapur

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The ENDF also contains the various partial cross-sections. There is no way to separate out the components.

4. Mar 7, 2012 #3
    Ya it contains elastic scattering c/s part, but not the absorption part. May be we will get it by deducting elastic scatt c/s, and other c/s in total c/s i guess.
    Thank you for ur reply Mr Mathman.

5. Mar 8, 2012 #4

QuantumPion

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Absorption cross section in ENDF is MT# 27 which is the sum of the total fission and radiative capture cross sections.

6. Mar 8, 2012 #5

cmb

There is another part to the website that should provide what you want;

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/exfor/exfor00.htm

If it's not obvious how to use it, just ask...

7. Mar 9, 2012 #6
    Thanks a lot Mr. QuantumPion and Mr. cmb, this discussion forum is a nice learning process for me. However, it takes me a little more time to understand this c/s fully, but soon i wll come up with it., and if there are any difficulties i wl be happy to ask u again..
    thanks PF..
    -
    Santhosh Malkapur
    (sm.malkapur)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook