Neutron Absortion cross section for an element

In summary, the ENDF provides information on neutron energy vs cross section (total) for different elements. There is no way to separate out the components.
sm.malkapur
I recently saw the Evaluated Nuclear Data File provided by Brookhaven national lab., where in i saw the plot of "Neutron Energy Vs cross section (total)" for different elements. http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/sigma/index.jsp?as=1&lib=endfb7.0&nsub=10

Now what i am interested in is, can we derive or get the asbsorption c/s, scattering c/s (elastic and inelastic) out of this total c/s "for any element" (i mean can we separate out absorption c/s,scattering c/s out of total c.s.). If possible how..? let me know if there are any links..

Thank you
sm.malkapur

Physics news on Phys.org
The ENDF also contains the various partial cross-sections. There is no way to separate out the components.

Ya it contains elastic scattering c/s part, but not the absorption part. May be we will get it by deducting elastic scatt c/s, and other c/s in total c/s i guess.
Thank you for ur reply Mr Mathman.

sm.malkapur said:
Ya it contains elastic scattering c/s part, but not the absorption part. May be we will get it by deducting elastic scatt c/s, and other c/s in total c/s i guess.
Thank you for ur reply Mr Mathman.

Absorption cross section in ENDF is MT# 27 which is the sum of the total fission and radiative capture cross sections.

Thanks a lot Mr. QuantumPion and Mr. cmb, this discussion forum is a nice learning process for me. However, it takes me a little more time to understand this c/s fully, but soon i wll come up with it., and if there are any difficulties i wl be happy to ask u again..
thanks PF..
-
Santhosh Malkapur
(sm.malkapur)

What is neutron absorption cross section?

Neutron absorption cross section is a measure of how likely an element is to absorb a neutron when it interacts with a neutron beam. It is expressed in units of barns (b), where 1 barn is equal to 10^-28 square meters.

Why is neutron absorption cross section important?

Neutron absorption cross section is important because it determines the efficiency of a material in absorbing neutrons, which is crucial in applications such as nuclear reactors and neutron detectors. It also affects the rate of neutron-induced reactions, which can have implications in nuclear energy production and material analysis.

How is neutron absorption cross section measured?

Neutron absorption cross section is measured experimentally using techniques such as neutron activation analysis and neutron transmission measurements. These experiments involve irradiating a sample with a known neutron flux and measuring the resulting change in neutron flux.

What factors affect the neutron absorption cross section of an element?

The neutron absorption cross section of an element is affected by various factors, including the atomic and nuclear structure of the element, the energy of the neutron beam, and the presence of other elements or isotopes in the material. Additionally, the neutron absorption cross section may vary with temperature and neutron energy.

How can neutron absorption cross section data be used?

Neutron absorption cross section data is used in nuclear engineering and research to design and optimize nuclear reactors, as well as to develop new materials for use in radiation shielding and detection. It is also used in astrophysics to study the behavior of neutrons in stars and other celestial bodies.