New Blade Runner

I've heard great things so far. Looking forward to it!

What makes you think he did? Do you believe he thought he was really writing future history instead of just a story out of his imagination?

His imagination That's just silly
I got the video now and Inhuman episode 3. I will first watch Inhuman then the old Blade Runner.

What's interesting about Blade Runner is the theme about androids and human emotion. If human emotion is more than the sum of the parts.. and androids can never have it. Then it's not silly that AI aliens factions (Borg like) can travel light years to earth just to harvest emotion. In fact, this is the main theme of all story about the Hybrids.. it's all about emotions. So if we have blade runners whose task is to assassinate the Replicants (or Hybrids).. know they all have emotion.. even if the genetic ingredients are cybernetic insectoid materials. Anyways, movies are just pale reflections of what is possible. I just hope in the future when they made Blade Runner part 3 and they can make use of the idea I just mentioned because it would be more cool. Meanwhile let's enjoy the movies.

Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Saw the movie today. I won't say much about it other than that it is a worthy successor to the original film. The one thing I liked is how there are things in this film that clearly shows that it is a direct extension of the first film and they did not try to reflect the effects of events that have taken place in the real world between the making of the two films. For example, there were advertisement displays for Pan Am and Atari in this film, both companies that had product placements in the first film.

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
I saw it also. In IMAX, Thursday night. Not many people there.
I liked it. Very cinematic (visually good). Interesting story. The short videos I linked to above will help understanding of what is going on in the movie.
It is not a fast moving film through, but you can get sucked into it if you are patient.

Differences are (not spoilers):
  • the existence of replicants is widely acknowledged if the film,
  • the issue of replicant emotions is more obviously dealt with.

I saw it also. In IMAX, Thursday night. Not many people there.
I liked it. Very cinematic (visually good). Interesting story. The short videos I linked to above will help understanding of what is going on in the movie.
It is not a fast moving film through, but you can get sucked into it if you are patient.

Differences are (not spoilers):
  • the existence of replicants is widely acknowledged if the film,
  • the issue of replicant emotions is more obviously dealt with.
It's also being shown in IMAX in my place. Noticed it's indicated 2 hours and 54 hours. Are there a lot of 3D scenes in the movie enough to warrant Imax tickets? Need to reserve some seats if it has many 3D. Thanks.

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
My IMAX wasn't 3D.
It wasn't maximal IMAX.

Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
I will first watch the old Blade Runner later in video to be familiar with the story
FYI, there is a bazillion of cuts out there. Well, ok, maybe three main cuts. There's the theatrical cut with the intentionally hammy voiceover (avoid!), the one without it (preferred version in my opinion), and the one with the unicorn (one extra scene alters the whole film - arguably more in line with the short story it was based on, but less coherent as a purely cinematic experience).

FYI, there is a bazillion of cuts out there. Well, ok, maybe three main cuts. There's the theatrical cut with the intentionally hammy voiceover (avoid!), the one without it (preferred version in my opinion), and the one with the unicorn (one extra scene alters the whole film - arguably more in line with the short story it was based on, but less coherent as a purely cinematic experience).
Blade Runner (30th Anniversary Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray] by Warner Home Video
R
DVD30th Anniversary Collector's Edition - Blu-ray
$235.78(1 used & new offers)

I watched Blade Runner 2049 but the sound system in the cinema is not good that I couldn't completely understand the English spoken. Maybe I should have watched it in Imax. But the overall tone of the movie is quite depressing (at least for me). We will fail miserably if we will have similar future where gross materiality rules. Where humans are treated as mere things. When it's available in Blu-ray. I'll watch it again with subtitles. I wonder if those native English speakers amongst you can totally understand every word utter in the movie (?)

What was the name of the lady with one eye? Anybody remember other roles she has done?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
What was the name of the lady with one eye? Anybody remember other roles she has done?
Daryl Hanna. She was in Kill Bill and other films. Look her up. Her mermaid in Splash was a lot of fun

There are also Blade Runner Animation series like:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7428594/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7326248/?ref_=tt_rec_tt
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7387408/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

I got the first and will watch tonight. But I feel the entire Blade Runner series is based on some assumptions. They will be great if it can be proven our brains and sentience are just mere circuitry. Is it? Can I add a math module in my brain to have the math ability of Neumaier or add emotion Module to feel like Trump? Of course it would be great if it's possible...

Daryl Hanna. She was in Kill Bill and other films. Look her up. Her mermaid in Splash was a lot of fun
Not the one in first movie, the replicant leader in the new one.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Not the one in first movie, the replicant leader in the new one.
Spoiler filled source; "...one-eyed robo-rebel Freysa..."

Cast [wiki]; Hiam Abbass as Freysa

ps. I saw the movie yesterday. I may be getting too old, cranky, and sore to sit through 3 hour movies in a theater. And I'm pretty sure I could tell the entire story in less than 3 minutes.

jez_h
I watched the movie Saturday night.

I can't say my review is favourable.

First things first though, the visuals were phenomenal. I mean, the CGI wasn't superhero film quality (I saw the trailer to Justice League that was put on before the film, it looks terrible), it was really next tier stuff. A lot of the time I couldn't tell if the props were CG or real. Very immersing there.

However, the film was unnecessarily long. It did not need to be nearly 3 hours long. Leto's character was pointless insanity who added nothing to the film. Just tell us "he's crazy" and you would have only lost the time spent watching him ramble aimlessly. Don't get me wrong, Leto did very well with the material he was given, but are you telling me we can get skinjobs but this rich guy can't get his eyes fixed? No not a spoiler, he's clearly blind from the moment you first see him.

The main female antagonist is pretty good at being mean, but the protagonists "girlfriend" makes things awkward in a way that Her avoided. I don't know if it was making up for that terrible rapey scene in the first Blade Runner, Director's Cut (if you haven't seen it you're a bit late) but it just shouldn't have happened in my opinion.

The last two "scenes" should have happened about an hour before they did.

I'm not disappointed because it was an all round bad film, it wasn't, I'm disappointed because the plot quality (aside from one part in particular which was really good) did not match the visuals.

It was lengthy, but I liked it. Even my wife liked it and she's a tougher critic than I am on sci fi movies. Spectacular cinematography, good music. I even liked Jared Leto's performance and I am not normally a fan of his.

Spoiler filled source; "...one-eyed robo-rebel Freysa..."

Cast [wiki]; Hiam Abbass as Freysa

ps. I saw the movie yesterday. I may be getting too old, cranky, and sore to sit through 3 hour movies in a theater. And I'm pretty sure I could tell the entire story in less than 3 minutes.
Dang, I was sure I'd seen her in something else.

mheslep
Gold Member
but are you telling me we can get skinjobs but this rich guy can't get his eyes fixed?
Yes in this plot. Fixing eyes is Minority Report sci fi. Recall the plot of the original Blade Runner: the goal of the rogue replicants was to have their short lives lengthened. The assumed genetic technology of the day is powerful so that extra human abilities are easy to create, but impossible to change once built. The eye, the optic nerve, the visual centers or the brain are not add-ons. Roy doesn't take no very well.

I'm afraid I didn't follow that very well. Why can't he get his eyes fixed? I've had five operations on my right eye. One more coming when it heals up from the last procedure. Not a replicant yet.

jez_h
I'm afraid I didn't follow that very well. Why can't he get his eyes fixed? I've had five operations on my right eye. One more coming when it heals up from the last procedure. Not a replicant yet.
This is my thought. We can already 3d print vital organs and fire lasers into our eyes to fix them, but they cannot replace eyes despite making androids that bleed? Sorry, don't buy that.

This is my thought. We can already 3d print vital organs and fire lasers into our eyes to fix them, but they cannot replace eyes despite making androids that bleed? Sorry, don't buy that.
I hope Ridley's got a good whooper made up for that one. I love the Big Lie.

mheslep
Gold Member
Nobody fixes optic nerves yet.

Good catch on "yet".

However, cataracts are in the front of the eye.

We already have initial researches about optic nerves regeneration. See:

https://nei.nih.gov/audacious/optic_nerve

Maybe in 2049.. there won't still be much progress on this.. Or did global catastrophe stopped it? For those who haven't watched the movie yet.. Don't read the following spoiler (is it a spoiler)?

What kind of global catastrophe occurred in the movie? Is it all out nuclear war? Why are most of the sceneries all orange? My cinema sound system was so bad I couldn't hear them speak well so couldn't understand the conversations.

DavidSnider
Gold Member
The people who complain about stuff like "They can do X but they can't do Y?!" seem to lack imagination as to why they might NOT be able to do something.

tasks.png