New Forum: Science Fiction Media!

Main Question or Discussion Point

We are announcing that mid next week "Skepticism & Debunking" will be removed. All threads will be placed in GD. The "Product Claims" forum will be spared and temporarily placed in GD as well. Over the past year we noticed many threads being locked due to guideline violations. So much so that it made the forum unproductive.

In it's place we are adding a "Science Fiction Media" forum. It will house all the discussions about Sci-Fi books, movies, tv shows, comics... and a sub forum for writers!

Look for it next week!

Answers and Replies

Evo
Mentor
Sounds great!!

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Can't wait :biggrin:

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
1233_hand_clapping.gif

Can't wait for it!

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Cool.

Science fiction. Nice. I lose though. My guess was that the next new forum would be Greatest Physicist Polls forum.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Science fiction. Nice. I lose though. My guess was that the next new forum would be Greatest Physicist Polls forum.
I thought that was the "official" name for the general forum...

Writers and science fiction? Excellent!

Just my kind of forum! :)

Dotini
Gold Member
We are announcing that mid next week "Skepticism & Debunking" will be removed. All threads will be placed in GD. The "Product Claims" forum will be spared and temporarily placed in GD as well. Over the past year we noticed many threads being locked due to guideline violations. So much so that it made the forum unproductive.
PF has stipulated that there are legitimate mysteries, like UFOs. Where would these now be discussed?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

PF has stipulated that there are legitimate mysteries, like UFOs. Where would these now be discussed?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve
Likely not for long ;)

Evo
Mentor
I like it!

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I had no idea the Forum got that many hits from sci-fi writers. Pretty cool!

Funny thing but the first time I glanced at the title of the thread I thought you had inaugurated a science fiction medal...

Nice one. Now the site is even more dull and cosy.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Just the way we like it!

Zz.

I don't think you mean that. Or I hope not.

Is there any rationale why scifi is a subforum of the lounge, whereas PW&A, photo stuff and games, etc, etc are subforums of General Discussion?

Is there any rationale why scifi is a subforum of the lounge, whereas PW&A, photo stuff and games, etc, etc are subforums of General Discussion?
One is within the realm of science, the others arguably aren't. Also we don't want to disrupt the feel and organization of the community when we took out S&D.

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I don't think you mean that. Or I hope not.
Rhetoric really does intrigue me. If you think discussing and teaching mainstream science (and for that matter certain forums in the lounge) is dull and cosy (as though cosy was a negative) then why are you here? S&D was an attractor for crackpottery and that's simply not what we do here. There are plenty of other places that allow it.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I love the new forum.

S&D was always a difficult forum. I ran it for eight years and the staff ran it for almost another year and a half. It was always a struggle to raise the level off discussion to something worthy of the PF. I think for a number of years the forum was mostly respectable, productive, and often interesting, but the amount of work required for a volunteer staff is just too much. It is a magnet for problems. In the end I couldn't take it any more and neither could the staff. As much as I hate to see it go, I can completely understand the decision to call it quits. With that, I thought this was the perfect last post for S&D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG6b3V2MNxQ

Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My post count increased when I made a post there. Is it supposed to?