What New Discoveries Await in NASA's Detailed Geological Map of Mars?

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Map Mars
In summary: The information is there, but it is not as comprehensive as it could be. The USGS has released a global geologic map of Mars based on data collected by the Viking Orbiters. The map is more detailed than previous maps and includes information about landforms, climate, and water resources. There are many download options for the map, including a poster and an interactive webpage.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Putting it here, not in space, due to the geological nature of the subject.
NASA and the US Geological Survey have produced a new geological map of Mars.
Better than before.
Very detailed and interesting (to me anyway).
Lots of download options.
This new global geologic map of Mars, which records the distribution of geologic units and landforms on the planet's surface through time, is based on unprecedented variety, quality, and quantity of remotely sensed data acquired since the Viking Orbiters. These data have provided morphologic, topographic, spectral, thermophysical, radar sounding, and other observations for integration, analysis, and interpretation in support of geologic mapping. In particular, the precise topographic mapping now available has enabled consistent morphologic portrayal of the surface for global mapping (whereas previously used visual range image bases were less effective, because they combined morphologic and albedo information and, locally, atmospheric haze). Also, thermal infrared image bases used for the new map tended to be less affected by atmospheric haze and thus are reliable for analysis of surface morphology and texture at even higher resolution than the topographic products.

Here is one of my favorite Martian regions:
Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 11.21.53 AM.png

Likes pinball1970, jim mcnamara, anorlunda and 1 other person
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
So, of course I just had to look up Mark Watney's route which led me to the Wiki page that actually had a map of it... :oldtongue:

er_Arabia_Terra_in_the_Martian_highlands_to_Ares_4.jpg

Likes pinball1970, davenn, jim mcnamara and 3 others
I literally just watched The Martian last night on the telly. (Backwards. Tuned in halfway, then it started again.)

I have that colourized altitude map as a 24x36 poster.

And I made an interactive webpage that allows you to switch layers on and off - feature labels for altitude, photo sat data and topology. http://www.davesbrain.ca/science/mars_atlas/
It's a pity I built it so long ago, the JavaScript to rollover labels for every crater larger than 20km is out-of-date. :(

Had to do this to make any sense of Robinson's "Mars" series.

Likes chemisttree, pinball1970, Tom.G and 1 other person
Over the last several years (maybe over a decade or so) I have looked at Mars, the sky, and the moon on Google earth.

I have been looking at the Mars version, and wonder if, or, how much of, the additional geographical information will make it there. As most have, I've looked at the tracks of the old exploration vehicles (and Mark Watneys' trek) on Google Earth/Mars.

1. What is a geological map?

A geological map is a visual representation of the physical features and characteristics of a particular area, such as a planet or region. It shows the distribution of different types of rocks, minerals, and other geological features, as well as their relationships and history.

2. Why is a new geological map of Mars important?

A new geological map of Mars is important because it provides updated and detailed information about the planet's surface, which can help scientists better understand its geologic history and processes. This can also aid in the search for potential signs of past or present life on Mars.

3. How is a geological map of Mars created?

A geological map of Mars is created using data collected by orbiting spacecraft and rovers, as well as images and measurements from telescopes. Scientists analyze this data to identify and classify different features on the planet's surface, and then create a map using specialized software.

4. What can we learn from a new geological map of Mars?

A new geological map of Mars can provide valuable insights into the planet's past and present geologic processes, including the formation of its surface features and the potential for water and other resources. It can also help identify potential landing sites for future missions and aid in the understanding of Mars' potential for supporting human exploration.

5. How often are geological maps of Mars updated?

Geological maps of Mars are constantly being updated as new data is collected and analyzed. However, major updates to the map may occur every few years as new missions and technologies are developed and deployed to study the planet's surface in more detail.