Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New hard drive - Speakers don't work

1. Dec 26, 2009 #1
    I recently installed a new hard drive as my old one was damaged. I couldn't retrieve anything from my old hard drive so I had lost some items of software (for example, I had to buy a new webcam as I no longer had the driver for my old one).
    However, for some reason my speakers do not work with my new hard drive. They don't need a driver, do they? I don't remember installing one when I first bought them.
    Any suggestions as to what the problem may be?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2009 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

If you reinstalled your sound card driver, you may have need to change the speaker output from line out to speaker output or vice versa.

4. Dec 26, 2009 #3
    You do not have to buy new hardware if you lost the drivers.

Usually the drivers are avilable at the manufactures website...goto his website, download the drives and install.

A better alternative...you Ubuntu...no viruses/togen...or whatever...I don't know! and it's very stable.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  5. Dec 26, 2009 #4
    Thanks for your help guys. I did buy a soundblaster sound card a few years ago. Would there have been a driver with that? i don't remember one but then again, I didn't install it.

6. Dec 26, 2009 #5
    Yes, Soundblaster sound cards have their own drivers.

Go to their website, download the driver appropriate for your sound card and operating system, and reinstall it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook