New idea -needs feed-back. A gas separator.

• Thread starter LeonStanley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Idea
In summary, the safe usage and storage of Hydrogen gas H2 requires a decent level of purity of above 98%. There are various methods for separating out heavier gases like oxygen that may be present, including the Sand drum method which involves piping 90% pure H2 into a container filled with clean beach sand. This method utilizes both diffusion and separation by gravity to achieve a higher purity of H2. However, there are some limitations to this method, such as the possibility of convection in an open volume space. The most common contamination in H2 production through electrolysis is water vapor, which can be removed with water absorbing chemicals.
LeonStanley
The safe usage and storage of Hydrogen gas H2 requires a decent level of purity- say above 98%. Those who have researched hydrogen production using electrolysis would be aware of several methods of separating out the small amounts of heavier gases like oxygen that are often present.

Here is another concept that just may work. Consider the following:-

The Sand drum method.

You have a container that is shaped like an old fashioned spinning top - a conical shape on top pointing upwards - and a conical shape on the bottom pointing down- the two halves sealed together. The container is filled with clean beach sand of a smooth particle type. In the Esperence region of Western Australia we have perfect white beach sand whose grains have smooth rounded egdes. It squeaks under your feet when you walk on it.

Now 90% pure H2 is piped into the lower/mid centre (the core) of this sand filled container at a low flow rate. I suppose that the H2 would slowly disperse upwards to the H2 exit pipe at the apex - and O2 would settle to the O2 exit pipe at the bottom?? It would also double as a flash-back arrester?

Any objections or feed-back to this idea? Thanks. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
If anyone know of a more appropriate forum where I can post similar queries? - please let me know. Thanks.

I did google "inventors forums" once, but come up with disappointing results. Guess I have to search longer and harder.
Thanks anyway.

It's indeed possible to separate H^2 because it diffuses much easier through almost everything. The holes in sand grains are much too big for this to happen.
You combine this with separation by gravity. Gravity is much too weak for this however. If this
would work, all the hydrogen would come on top in an ordinary container.

I don't think oxygen contamination is a problem with H2 production through electrolysis. You can separate them at the electrodes. The most common contamination is water vapour, which can be removed with water absorbing chemicals.

willem2 said:
I don't think oxygen contamination is a problem with H2 production through electrolysis. You can separate them at the electrodes. The most common contamination is water vapour, which can be removed with water absorbing chemicals.

I understand that the purity of the H2 varies with the type and quality of the electrolyzer. Some of the more rudimentry electrolyzers output H2 at around 92% purity.

willem2 said:
You combine this with separation by gravity. Gravity is much too weak for this however. If this
would work, all the hydrogen would come on top in an ordinary container.

In an open volume space (a drum without sand in it) convection would stop the complete separation of the gases. Even with convection there is a partial separation of the gases.

In a sand filled space, I assume that each little cavity between the sand will act as a decision gate as the gas seeps through it, and in effect, giving the oxygen a sort of half life as it passes through successive cavities.

1. What is a gas separator and how does it work?

A gas separator is a device used to separate gas from a mixture of fluids. It works by utilizing the difference in density between gas and liquid to separate them. The gas rises to the top, while the liquid settles at the bottom.

2. What are the potential applications of a gas separator?

A gas separator can be used in a variety of industries including oil and gas, wastewater treatment, and chemical processing. It can be used to remove unwanted gases from liquids, to prevent gas build-up in pipelines, and to recover valuable gases from industrial processes.

3. How is a gas separator different from a traditional filter?

A gas separator and a filter serve different purposes. While a filter is used to physically trap particles, a gas separator is designed to separate gas from liquid. A gas separator is typically more effective at removing gas from a mixture compared to a filter.

4. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a gas separator?

The key factors to consider when choosing a gas separator include the flow rate, pressure, temperature, and composition of the gas mixture. Other factors to consider include the type of gas separator (e.g. cyclonic, centrifugal, or gravity-based), maintenance requirements, and cost.

5. How can a gas separator improve the efficiency of a process?

A gas separator can improve the efficiency of a process by removing unwanted gases that can cause issues such as corrosion, foaming, and decreased flow rates. By separating gas from the mixture, a gas separator can also help to improve the quality of the end product and reduce downtime for maintenance and repairs.