New Organ Discovered: Something New Every Day

In summary, the article describes the discovery of a new organ - interstitium - which may have important implications for disease. However, the article is highly technical and seems to be based on a single paper, so it is not clear whether it is true or not.
Biology news on Phys.org
Yes, I read it too. It was quite interesting. Also the cancer connection to the lymph system

Likes Stavros Kiri
Interstitium, the new organ, was based on the original paper quoted by the OP above. The article was published March 27, 2018.
E.g. Relevant quotes:
"and as a result propose a large-scale revision of the macro- and microanatomy of the human interstitium."

"In sum, we describe the anatomy and histology of a previously unrecognized, though widespread, macroscopic, fluid-filled space within and between tissues, a novel expansion and specification of the concept of the human interstitium."

Last time a new organ was discovered was around Christmas time (more than a year ago - see previous post). This time it happened around Easter time. It seems, either way, we get an organ as a gift! ...

These 'new organs' were of course existent known structures before, but their exact coherence, function and role was just realized, understood and announced recently, "exalting" them to the level of 'organ' ...

I think it's also a matter of definition, [i.e.] what we consider as organ and what not ...
It reminds me the similar case/story of Pluto (in Astronomy), i.e. whether Pluto is a planet or not ...

Last edited:
Likes larry909 and BillTre
I think the important thing about it was, there was a lymphatic system known physiological function.
This thing just seems to be what is immediately upstream of the lymphatic system (that's my understanding at least) and feeds into it).
It would seem to be something that is elaborated through, at least, many different tissues.

It was not known, or previously described as a deficiency in understanding, previously.
It could explain some obscure aspects of certain diseases.

BillTre said:
It could explain some obscure aspects of certain diseases.
Like this, for instance (?) ...
jedishrfu said:
the cancer connection to the lymph system

something ain't right here, not sure what it is but I doubt they found a new organ. anywho if they did (they didn't), from what I can understand about that especially long winded explanation and it didn't make sense to me that they were staining live subject or figured out they were stem cells from staining. nothing about this article seems right.

I guess I could dig deeper but I don't really care enough to, just because it's in the journal Nature doesn't make it true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Riccard said:
true
What do you mean "true"? It doesn't have to be true to be scientific. As long as it is properly supported ... . That's how science evolves.
Do you have any references to support your view?

Likes berkeman

What is the new organ that has been discovered?

The new organ that has been discovered is called the interstitium. It is a network of fluid-filled spaces found throughout the body, including the skin and digestive tract.

Why is the interstitium considered an organ?

The interstitium meets the definition of an organ as it is a group of tissues that work together to perform a specific function. It also has a distinct structure and is essential for maintaining the body's overall health.

What is the function of the interstitium?

The interstitium serves several important functions in the body, including providing support and protection for organs, transporting fluids and immune cells, and helping to regulate the body's fluid balance.

How was the interstitium discovered?

The interstitium was discovered through the use of a new imaging technique called probe-based confocal laser endomicroscopy. This allowed researchers to visualize the interstitium in living tissue for the first time.

What are the potential implications of this discovery?

The discovery of the interstitium has the potential to greatly impact our understanding of the human body and its functions. It may also lead to new insights and treatments for diseases and conditions that involve the interstitium, such as cancer and autoimmune disorders.