Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New solution found for Gold extraction

1. Feb 6, 2016 #1
    No mention of this here so far that I see so I would like to see what the experts know about this. A Univeristy of Saskatchewan professor claims he has invented a solution, "acetic acid combined with very small amounts of an oxidant and another acid", that can rapidly remove plated gold from electronic circuit boards and leave the other metals untouched. It is environmentally benign compared to cyanide or mecury.
    My question is, is anyone willing to guess what the other two ingredients might be? And how does it work? It dissolves the thin plating in ten seconds! Quite an accomplishment.
    Here is the link. http://words.usask.ca/news/2016/01/29/gold-diggers/

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Chlorinated hydrocarbons. Wedding rings, other (Au) jewelry, catalyze acid formation from chloroform/methylene chloride, and, presumably other similar chemicals.

4. Feb 6, 2016 #3
    That is interesting to know. Somehow I don't think he was saying the acid is formed due to a reaction. He said an acid (and an oxidizer) is part of the original
    solution. Methylene chloride or chlorform is not evironmentally freindly.

5. Feb 6, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook