New students guide to Maxwell's Eqs

• Thread starter jackiefrost
  • Start date
  • Tags
    students
In summary, the book "Maxwell's Equations" by Daniel Fleish (2008) is highly recommended as an introductory material on classical electromagnetism. The author's explanations of background mathematical concepts are clear and consistent, making it a valuable companion to other texts or as a stand-alone study. This book is a must-have for anyone approaching the subject for the first time. Additionally, the book provides a concise definition of an electric field, which is a property of space that represents the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge at a given point. While other resources may also offer valuable information, this book stands out for its clarity and thoroughness.
jackiefrost
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521701473/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Daniel Fleish (2008) is by far the clearest and most consistent introductory material on Maxwell's Equations that I've ever read. In fact, I'd rate it higher than "Div, Grad, Curl, and all that" for its explanations of background mathematical concepts. Anyone approaching classical EM for the first time won't be wasting a cent in the purchase of this book! It makes an indispensable companion to Griffith or any other introductory text but is also a great stand-alone study.

Check it out...

jf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jackiefrost said:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521701473/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Daniel Fleish (2008) is by far the clearest and most consistent introductory material on Maxwell's Equations that I've ever read. In fact, I'd rate it higher than "Div, Grad, Curl, and all that" for its explanations of background mathematical concepts. Anyone approaching classical EM for the first time won't be wasting a cent in the purchase of this book! It makes an indispensable companion to Griffith or any other introductory text but is also a great stand-alone study.

Check it out...

jf

I just looked at his definition of an electric fiedl on p.3. He warbles on a lot about it all being very philosophical instead of giving us a concise definition. Then he gives us a bad definition. I'm not impressed. This is better:

"An electric field is a property of space. The electric field at a point is the force per unit charge which would be felt by a sufficiently small test charge at that point. "
http://www.people.vcu.edu/~rgowdy/mod/080/s.htm

Feynman's Lectures are also (of course) better, but you have to dig deep -- look up field and related terms in the index, put the reading & thinking cap on, and read & think hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can say that I completely agree with this assessment of "New students guide to Maxwell's Eqs" by Daniel Fleish. Maxwell's Equations are fundamental to the study of electromagnetism and can often be difficult for new students to grasp. However, Fleish's book provides clear and consistent explanations of these equations, making it a valuable resource for anyone studying classical electromagnetism.

In addition, the book also does an excellent job of explaining the mathematical concepts that are necessary for understanding Maxwell's Equations. This is crucial for students who may not have a strong background in mathematics, as it allows them to fully comprehend the equations and their implications.

I also appreciate the recommendation to use this book as a companion to other introductory texts, as it can provide a deeper understanding of the subject matter. However, it is also a great standalone resource for those looking to study Maxwell's Equations in depth.

Overall, I highly recommend "New students guide to Maxwell's Eqs" to anyone looking to learn about Maxwell's Equations. It is a valuable and comprehensive resource that will greatly aid in understanding this important concept in electromagnetism.

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations in physics that describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and how they interact with charged particles.

2. Why are Maxwell's Equations important?

Maxwell's Equations are important because they provide a complete description of the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and have been instrumental in the development of many technologies, such as radio, television, and telecommunications.

3. Where did Maxwell's Equations come from?

Maxwell's Equations were first developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century based on the work of other scientists, including Michael Faraday and Ampère.

4. How do you use Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations can be used to solve a variety of problems related to electric and magnetic fields, such as calculating the strength and direction of the fields, or determining the behavior of particles in these fields.

5. Are Maxwell's Equations still relevant today?

Yes, Maxwell's Equations are still relevant and widely used today, especially in the fields of electromagnetism, optics, and telecommunications. They have also been expanded upon and refined by other scientists, such as Albert Einstein and Richard Feynman.