1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New students guide to Maxwell's Eqs

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1
    A Students Guide to Maxwell's Equations by Daniel Fleish (2008) is by far the clearest and most consistent introductory material on Maxwell's Equations that I've ever read. In fact, I'd rate it higher than "Div, Grad, Curl, and all that" for its explanations of background mathematical concepts. Anyone approaching classical EM for the first time won't be wasting a cent in the purchase of this book! It makes an indispensable companion to Griffith or any other introductory text but is also a great stand-alone study.

Check it out...

jf

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2
    I just looked at his definition of an electric fiedl on p.3. He warbles on a lot about it all being very philosophical instead of giving us a concise definition. Then he gives us a bad definition. I'm not impressed. This is better:

"An electric field is a property of space. The electric field at a point is the force per unit charge which would be felt by a sufficiently small test charge at that point. "
    http://www.people.vcu.edu/~rgowdy/mod/080/s.htm

Feynman's Lectures are also (of course) better, but you have to dig deep -- look up field and related terms in the index, put the reading & thinking cap on, and read & think hard.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?