1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New to physics, what should I learn?

1. Jul 1, 2017 #1
    Hey everyone :), this doesn't really fit in any section so I will just put it here.

I am swapping some subjects around and as a result I am starting physics halfway through the year, while my class mates all started in the beginning. However I am not starting from the beginning, I will be doing the same work as them.

In the following term, we will undergo a course called "Amusement Park Physics". They have already undergone two topics in the previous two terms, "The Physics of Music" and "Time to hit the road (focused on cars, their safety, etc).

One of my friends has told me we really don't need much from the previous terms, but I kind of think he is setting me up to fail.

So anyway. What do you think I should learn?

Newtons laws? Or error orrr? Orrr do you need more information to tell, just ask and I will find whatever i CAN.

Anyway, any help will be GREATLY appreciated :)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Actually, yes it does. "Academic guidance"

How much do these course use math?

4. Jul 1, 2017 #3
    The Physics you need to learn first is called Calculus.

5. Jul 2, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

what have you got in your toolkit already that may come in useful ?
    And yes, Newton is extremely useful

6. Jul 3, 2017 #5
    I would ask the teacher who taught those two classes. If you don't want to do that then ask the teacher you will have what you should study before the class starts.

7. Jul 3, 2017 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

First learn construction and equipment maintenance and basic algebra.

from title,
    (NOT kidding.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted