1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New to the board. Can I get some guidance on a couple of questions?

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) The drawing shows a person looking at a building on top of which an antenna is mounted. The horizontal distance between the person's eyes and the building is d = 68.0 m. In part a the person is looking at the base of the antenna, and his line of sight makes an angle of θ1 = 35.0° with the horizontal. In part b the person is looking at the top of the antenna, and his line of sight makes an angle of θ2 = 40.0° with the horizontal. How tall is the antenna?

2) The two hot air balloons in the drawing are 48.2 and h = 56.0 m above the ground. A person in the left balloon observes that the right balloon is θ = 13.4° above the horizontal. What is the horizontal distance x between the two balloons?

2. Relevant equations
    for the first i used cos and the second problem i used tan

3. The attempt at a solution
    i got 57.1 km for the fist and 235 m for the second. but it says both are wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2
    ok i got #2 but still stuck on 1

4. Jan 14, 2009 #3
    Let [tex]a[/tex] be the height of the base of the antenna off the ground

Let [tex]b[/tex] be the height of the top of the antenna off the ground

[tex]\tan35^{\circ} = \frac{a}{68.0}[/tex]

[tex]\tan40^{\circ} = \frac{b}{68.0}[/tex]

Now you have to solve for a and b and find [tex]b-a[/tex]

5. Jan 14, 2009 #4
    thanks!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?