New tool for physics: Online pen&paper

• Thread starter Airbag
  • Start date
Airbag

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am working on a tool that might be helpful to physicians and students.

a screenshot is here:
http://airbag.student.utwente.nl/penpaper.png" [Broken]

It is a handwritten-style editor, like working with pen&paper, to edit pages or make exercises and get output in HTML or LaTeX.
It enables you to organise exercises, summaries, equations online and directly copy them into your thesis or publication.

I will put a demo online in a week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

:approve: Indrukwekkend, Impressive, Daniel

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Looks cool. Its physicists by the way :wink::smile:

Airbag
Yes, physicists.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Will it work for people with a lot less neat handwriting than the one in the demo?

Do you scan in your handwritten notes to use it, or do you need to have a tablet to write on to use it (in which case, if you're already sitting at the computer, I'm not sure why it would be faster than learning to use LaTex...especially for those who will need to use equations a lot in their work making it worth the time spend learning LaTex).

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I like to handwrite notes before I commit them to Latex so it could be a lot easier this way if you can scan them in.

Airbag
Will it work for people with a lot less neat handwriting than the one in the demo?

Do you scan in your handwritten notes to use it, or do you need to have a tablet to write on to use it (in which case, if you're already sitting at the computer, I'm not sure why it would be faster than learning to use LaTex...especially for those who will need to use equations a lot in their work making it worth the time spend learning LaTex).
The user types LaTeX to use it. Pen&paper displays handwritten notes.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Oh. Why? :confused:

OrbitalPower
So, can you write your notes and then save the notes for later in some type of file that you can later open from any computer? That would be really cool.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So this is a package for latex that outputs a handwriting font? If so I believe thats less useful.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
So this is a package for latex that outputs a handwriting font? If so I believe thats less useful.
I agree: I think software that scanned handwritten notes and turned them into tex would be good, but I can't see how this would be useful. Afterall, once you've spent time typing your notes up, you don't want them to look like handwritten notes.

Airbag
Oh. Why? :confused:
Mainly because it was fun.

Also because I wanted a direct digital replacement for what I was doing with pen&paper.

I agree: I think software that scanned handwritten notes and turned them into tex would be good, but I can't see how this would be useful. Afterall, once you've spent time typing your notes up, you don't want them to look like handwritten notes.
The output is not handwritten, but LaTeX or HTML as shown in the background of the image.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The output is not handwritten, but LaTeX or HTML as shown in the background of the image.
Ok, I really don't understand what your programme does, then. What does the window with the handwriting font in do?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay now, which is it? You type in LaTeX and get a handwritten-looking output, or you enter handwritten notes (either using a tablet or scan or however you get it in) and get a typed output translated into LaTex code?

Here's what I would like :smile:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9094/drawing1cy9.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Latex can do words and typesetting and formatting all by itself you know. No need for word. :wink:

Airbag
Okay now, which is it? You type in LaTeX and get a handwritten-looking output, or you enter handwritten notes (either using a tablet or scan or however you get it in) and get a typed output translated into LaTex code?
I type in LaTeX, see formulas appear as handwritten notes, and then press F8 to get output translated into rendered LaTeX.

Ok, I really don't understand what your programme does, then. What does the window with the handwriting font in do?
I type LaTeX using my keyboard, and see formulas appear as (handwritten) formulas, not as LaTeX code.
Then I press F8, and see them as rendered LaTeX, in HTML.

so it does the exact opposite of what computers were designed to do?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I type in LaTeX, see formulas appear as handwritten notes, and then press F8 to get output translated into rendered LaTeX.
If you've already typed in the LaTex, why would you want it to appear messy and handwritten? And, if you know LaTex, why do you need another software to render it? LaTex already renders a formatted output. So, it sounds like all you're doing is creating a "handwriting" font for LaTex?

I think you have a very great idea, and it looks awesomely impressive, too.

I'm not sure if I understood everything... But it would nice to have a software which "instant-compile" the Latex code you write, so you can see the progression directly (in an adjacent window or on another screen) and make the adequate corrections. However, I don't see any reason to have it handwritten.

Airbag
If you've already typed in the LaTex, why would you want it to appear messy and handwritten? And, if you know LaTex, why do you need another software to render it? LaTex already renders a formatted output. So, it sounds like all you're doing is creating a "handwriting" font for LaTex?
Using this tool it is possible to type LaTeX and directly see formulas appear. I decided to start with a handwritten-style editor, adding other features later such as formatted-output if neccesary.
I'm not sure if I understood everything... But it would nice to have a software which "instant-compile" the Latex code you write, so you can see the progression directly (in an adjacent window or on another screen) and make the adequate corrections. However, I don't see any reason to have it handwritten.
I want to use the computer for what I do with pen and paper, and make the difference between the two as small as possible. Other features such as realtime formatted-output will only become interesting (to me) after I can succesfully use the tool as a replacement for pen&paper.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I want to use the computer for what I do with pen and paper, and make the difference between the two as small as possible.
Latex isn't suitable as a replacement for using pen and paper, solely because it takes a lot of time to typeset. It's good to write up notes, but not for brainstorming.

As far as I can remember there is already a program out that interprets handwritten formulas and converts them to LaTex. Just can't think of the name right now. Perhaps someone here knows?

Airbag
I want to use the computer for what I do with pen and paper, and make the difference between the two as small as possible. Other features such as realtime formatted-output will only become interesting (to me) after I can succesfully use the tool as a replacement for pen&paper.
Clarification: I doubt if computers can ever completely replace pen&paper.

Maybe writing this software was a divine lesson for me for using too much psychedelics... I saw it in a dream and felt obligated to turn it into a piece of software. I might try to use it now and then, besides using pen and paper.