Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New tool for physics: Online pen&paper

1. Aug 24, 2008 #1
    I am working on a tool that might be helpful to physicians and students.

a screenshot is here:
    http://airbag.student.utwente.nl/penpaper.png

It is a handwritten-style editor, like working with pen&paper, to edit pages or make exercises and get output in HTML or LaTeX.
    It enables you to organise exercises, summaries, equations online and directly copy them into your thesis or publication.

I will put a demo online in a week.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2008 #2
    :approve: Indrukwekkend, Impressive, Daniel

4. Aug 24, 2008 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks cool. Its physicists by the way :wink::smile:

5. Aug 24, 2008 #4
    Yes, physicists.

6. Aug 24, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Will it work for people with a lot less neat handwriting than the one in the demo?

Do you scan in your handwritten notes to use it, or do you need to have a tablet to write on to use it (in which case, if you're already sitting at the computer, I'm not sure why it would be faster than learning to use LaTex...especially for those who will need to use equations a lot in their work making it worth the time spend learning LaTex).

7. Aug 24, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like to handwrite notes before I commit them to Latex so it could be a lot easier this way if you can scan them in.

8. Aug 24, 2008 #7
    The user types LaTeX to use it. Pen&paper displays handwritten notes.

9. Aug 24, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh. Why? :confused:

10. Aug 24, 2008 #9
    So, can you write your notes and then save the notes for later in some type of file that you can later open from any computer? That would be really cool.

11. Aug 24, 2008 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So this is a package for latex that outputs a handwriting font? If so I believe thats less useful.

12. Aug 24, 2008 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I agree: I think software that scanned handwritten notes and turned them into tex would be good, but I can't see how this would be useful. Afterall, once you've spent time typing your notes up, you don't want them to look like handwritten notes.

13. Aug 24, 2008 #12
    Mainly because it was fun.

Also because I wanted a direct digital replacement for what I was doing with pen&paper.

The output is not handwritten, but LaTeX or HTML as shown in the background of the image.

14. Aug 24, 2008 #13

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ok, I really don't understand what your programme does, then. What does the window with the handwriting font in do?

15. Aug 24, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay now, which is it? You type in LaTeX and get a handwritten-looking output, or you enter handwritten notes (either using a tablet or scan or however you get it in) and get a typed output translated into LaTex code?

16. Aug 24, 2008 #15
    Here's what I would like :smile:

[​IMG]

17. Aug 24, 2008 #16

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Latex can do words and typesetting and formatting all by itself you know. No need for word. :wink:

18. Aug 25, 2008 #17
    I type in LaTeX, see formulas appear as handwritten notes, and then press F8 to get output translated into rendered LaTeX.

I type LaTeX using my keyboard, and see formulas appear as (handwritten) formulas, not as LaTeX code.
    Then I press F8, and see them as rendered LaTeX, in HTML.

19. Aug 25, 2008 #18
    so it does the exact opposite of what computers were designed to do?

20. Aug 25, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you've already typed in the LaTex, why would you want it to appear messy and handwritten? And, if you know LaTex, why do you need another software to render it? LaTex already renders a formatted output. So, it sounds like all you're doing is creating a "handwriting" font for LaTex?

21. Aug 25, 2008 #20
    I think you have a very great idea, and it looks awesomely impressive, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?