New website for physics students

In summary, Laura has launched a website for physics students interested in pursuing graduate studies and careers in physics. The website includes a guide on how to apply to graduate school, a list of physics internships, scholarships, fellowships, and summer research opportunities, interviews with current physics graduate students and professionals, and more. She is seeking feedback and suggestions on how to improve and expand the website. Some design issues were mentioned, such as conflicting colors and slow loading images. One suggestion was to include a survey of graduate students. Laura also mentions her interest in high energy astrophysics, particularly x-rays. There was also a discussion about high energy astrophysics and the amazement of the techniques used in this field.
Laura1013
Hello all,

It's been a while since I visited this forum, probably a year or so ago. It looks pretty much the same. :)

I need your assistance. Specifically, I need your opinions, advice, input, feedback, even questions. I hope you all are kind enough to help me out!

I've just launched a website aimed at physics students who are interested in pursuing graduate studies and careers in physics. My hope is that this website will assist physics students in pursuing their desired educational and career paths.

Within the website is a guide on how to apply to graduate school, the largest list of physics internships, scholarships, fellowships, and summer research opportunities out there (as far as I'm aware), interviews with current physics graduate students and physicists working in their careers, and more.

The website is only a week old, so it's still very small. Here's where you come in. I need help figuring what I should add, change, emphasize, de-emphasize, expand, and improve. What would best help physics students learn about opportunities available to them? How can I best show physics students the hugely diverse areas open to them in graduate school and possible careers? How can my little website best benefit you?

The URL is: http://www.astromiror.org .

Thank you all so much!
Laura

Physics news on Phys.org
Some webdesign issues

Laura1013 said:
I need your opinions, advice, input, feedback, even questions.

Could grow into a very helpful site. I notice that some text is poorly formatted (extends outside the side bars) and also that conflicting colors make some text hard to read. I'd also recommend resisting the temptation to put high quality astroimages everywhere since these can be slow to load for some users. Such design issues can be quite important in determining whether or not your site gets used!

(Re the ancient site in my sig: do as I say, not as I do! I dislike CSS for many reasons such as bloated code, but simple html tags are generally considered unacceptably primitive these days. But at the same time, it is important to try to test access your own site from various locations to see if everything appears to work--- e.g. readable and visually attractive--- for generic users.)

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for your response! May I ask what browser you're using? I've been testing with Internet Explorer 7 and Mozilla Firefox 2, and the text looks fine from my end. Is it just the sidebar text that's going over?

In your opinion, which text colors don't work and where? I'm only using standard black text, with white in a few locations and red in very few locations.

It's curious that you mention high-quality images. I specifically kept slower users in mind by only having two images on my site at all: the main banner, and my email address as an image to try to trick spammers. Since there is only one high-quality image, the load time should fairly quick.

Thank you again! I worked on the design for a number of months; I didn't realize there were so many problems still!

Thanks,
Laura

Hello Laura, interesting website you've got. To be honest, I wish I had something like this last year when I was applying to grad schools. Oh well, I successfully muddled my way through the process somehow. Looks great overall. The only suggestion I can offer at the moment is that it might be a good idea to have a survey of a few graduate students, as you do for the professional physicists. But you did say in your original post that something like this was on the site, so maybe I'm just not looking hard enough (maybe the site could use some sort of navigation page?).

Incidentally I noticed that you do astrophysics. I myself am with a high energy astrophysics group.

arunma said:
The only suggestion I can offer at the moment is that it might be a good idea to have a survey of a few graduate students, as you do for the professional physicists.

Excellent idea! Check out:
http://www.astromiror.org/traditional.html
http://www.astromiror.org/nontraditional.html
http://www.astromiror.org/international.html

They're in the Grad School Guide section under Personal Experiences. Looks like I need to do some navigation restructuring to make them more obvious. Thanks so much for the input!

High-energy asto is amazingly cool, isn't it? I'm particularly drawn toward x-rays.

Last edited:
Laura1013 said:
High-energy asto is amazingly cool, isn't it? I'm particularly drawn toward x-rays.

X-rays, huh? I guess you're just a few doors down on the EM spectrum from me. I do very high energy astro (basically, gamma rays up in the 100 GeV to TeV range). But still pretty cool, nonetheless. What I find so amazing is that the technique actually works. I sometimes stumble back in disbelief that a few PMTs out in the desert can allow us to look at the Crab Nebula, blazars, and all that other stuff. Thank heaven (literally) for Cherenkov radiation!

Of course, I think you are the real astronomer here. I, on the other hand, am a high energy physicist in disguise.

1. What is the purpose of the new website for physics students?

The purpose of the new website for physics students is to provide a centralized platform for students to access resources, study materials, and connect with other students and professors in the field of physics. It aims to enhance the learning experience and make studying physics more interactive and engaging.

2. What kind of resources can students find on the website?

The website offers a wide range of resources such as lecture notes, practice problems, interactive simulations, and video tutorials. Students can also find study guides, past exams, and research articles related to various topics in physics. Additionally, the website provides a forum for students to discuss and share their ideas and questions with each other.

3. Is the website only for students studying physics at an advanced level?

No, the website is designed for students of all levels, from high school to graduate level, who are interested in physics. It offers resources for both basic and advanced topics in physics, making it suitable for students at any stage of their academic journey.

4. How can students benefit from using the website?

By using the website, students can access a variety of resources that can aid in their learning and understanding of complex physics concepts. They can also participate in discussions with other students and experts in the field, which can help them expand their knowledge and gain different perspectives on physics topics. Additionally, the website offers a platform for students to collaborate and work on projects together.

5. Can students contribute to the content on the website?

Yes, students can contribute to the content on the website by sharing their own study materials, practice problems, and research articles. They can also participate in discussions and provide helpful explanations and insights to their peers. This allows for a collaborative learning environment and helps in creating a comprehensive resource for physics students.