Newbie question regarding vacuum pump kill switch

In summary, the speaker has a project they are working on and wants to upgrade it with a vacuum pump that will automatically shut off when the chamber reaches a certain level of vacuum. They are seeking literature and parts for this and someone suggests using a vacuum pressure switch or a check valve in the vacuum line. The speaker also asks about using a CPLD circuit.
agonydrum
I have a project that I've been working on for awhile and I've recently decided to try and upgrade parts of it. However, my knowledge on the subject is pretty sparse. What I want to do is have a vacuum pump which will shut off when my chamber reaches a certain level of vacuum. If anyone could point me in the direction of literature and or parts I will need I would really appreciate it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google vacuum pressure switch.

But do you really want to switch the pump off? Won't that release the vacuum? How much vacuum is it?

I don't have the exact vacuum i need on hand but it's not much, I've been using a sort of hand pump piston i made until now. Will it? I had assumed that the pumping chamber would be air tight and serve to hold the vacuum until i could seal the valve to the vacuum chamber.

Also would i be able to use a cpld circuit with that?

Last edited:
Air-tight checkvalve in the vacuum line would do it.

Thank you for your responses I'll check into to both of those suggestions.

1. What is a vacuum pump kill switch?

A vacuum pump kill switch is a safety feature on a vacuum pump that allows the user to quickly shut off the pump in case of an emergency or malfunction.

2. How does a vacuum pump kill switch work?

The kill switch is typically a button or switch located on the pump that interrupts the electrical supply to the pump. When activated, it cuts off power to the pump, stopping the suction and releasing any pressure.

3. Why is a vacuum pump kill switch important?

A vacuum pump kill switch is important because it provides a fast and easy way to stop the pump in case of a dangerous situation. Without it, the user would need to manually turn off the pump or unplug it, which could be time-consuming and potentially hazardous.

4. Are all vacuum pumps equipped with a kill switch?

No, not all vacuum pumps have a kill switch. It is often a feature found on larger or more powerful pumps, but it is always best to check the specific model's specifications to be sure.

5. How should I test the vacuum pump kill switch?

It is recommended to test the kill switch periodically to ensure it is functioning properly. This can be done by simply pressing the button or flipping the switch to see if the pump stops. If it does not work, the switch may need to be replaced or the pump may need to be serviced. Always read and follow the manufacturer's instructions for testing and maintaining the pump.