Design of an 'open' venturi water pump

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Yorick22
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello

For my study I'm making a specific design

I'm trying to design a ballast chamber which i want to empty with a venturi pump

I attached a schematic image of the idea

Through pipe A a liquid is pumped with around 150m3/h through a 6'' pipe.
The pipe is narrowed at the end, with a space between the narrowed part en the underside of the chamber.
The idea is that the liquid from chamber '2' will be pulledbecause of the flow from 'A' trough the narrowing to 'C'.

The whole chamber is located 2 meters under water level, so there will be a water pressure from underneath.
There is an air hose that will add air to chamber '2' so it won't create a vacuum

My question is: Does this idea even work (under water) and how can i calculate the sizes and volumes that will be pumped away from chamber '2'

Thank you in advance!
open venturi.PNG
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yorick22 said:
Does this idea even work (under water)
Yes.
Yorick22 said:
sizes and volumes that will be pumped away from chamber '2'
Without specific details --- ?
 
Yorick22, Since you have only given very limited information about your total system, all that be said is that in principal with the right design, operating pressures etc you may be able to use a jet pump design to achieve what you want. However, as they say, the devil is in the details. In that respect I recommend that you visit the below website that can give you information and guidance on jet pump operating criteria.

http://www.arcoengineering.com/pen/Penberthy_LL_LM_LH_GL_GH_Pumping_Liquids_AE.pdf

There are a number of other available online academic discussions regarding jet pumps but none get directly done to the basics of applying one.

I am new to the forum so I hope posting a link to an established manufacturers technical information does not violate any of the forum rules.