1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newbie Questions about Units in Physics Equations

1. Jul 19, 2014 #1
    In an equation like E=mc^2, what are the units?

Like, I know c is a constant, but in the equation is it meters-per-second, kilometers per hour, or what? In this, and other equations how do you know what is meant by the letters in terms of their computational value?

If E is 500 joules, what is m?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2014 #2
    You know that is work A[J]=F[N]*s[m]
    => J=kg* (m/s)^2
    From here you can see that if the c is in m/s them mass must be in kg.

4. Jul 19, 2014 #3

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

In any "coherent" system of units, (i.e. in a system where the unit of energy is one unit of mass times one unit of distance squared divided by one unit of time squared) the E will be the standard unit of energy, the m will be the standard unit of mass and the c will be the speed of light measured in the standard units of distance per standard units of time.

In SI, E would be in Joules, m would be in kilograms and c would be in meters per second.
    In cgs, E would be in ergs, m would be in grams and c would be in centimeters per second.

You could choose to express E in foot pounds, m in slugs and c in feet per second and the equation would hold.

c is 3,000,000 meters per second. Solve for m in kg. The answer will be fairly small.

5. Jul 19, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is? Light's gotten pretty slow since lunchtime.

6. Jul 19, 2014 #5

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Forgot two 0's there jbriggs...

7. Jul 20, 2014 #6

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

So I did. *blush*

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook