Newt Gingrich declares: This is WWIII

1. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This morning on Meet the Press he cited many events of recent months and declared that these are the early stages of WWIII. Quote to be provided when available.

True or not, I hope Bill Clinton is working behind the scenes.

2. jcsd
  3. arildno

arildno 12,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, and he's one of its jubilant proponents. Gingrich, that is.

4. Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

It is indeed a shame that so many people are invested in assuring conflict in the world. I have to wonder why people consciously choose to hurt other people.

While I have been in fights with my brother and others, and in the heat of combat, tried to hurt the opponent, outside of combat I have never had the desire to hurt another person. Quite the opposite, I have consciously tried to prevent other people from hurting themselves or others. This I learned from my father, and this I was taught as part of religious instruction.

Blessed are the peace makers. :smile:

Peace - Salaam - Shalom.

5. ... personally I think thats a huge exagerration... this has been going on forever, why would this time be any different?

6. We live in intresting times

7. To be blunt - why should anyone care what Gingrich thinks? This statement of his is both obviously loony, and irresponsibly fearmongerish. As thus it undermines the significance real and present crisis.

8. arildno

arildno 12,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, why should anyone care what GWB jr. thinks?
    Answer: Unfortunately, he is in a position where he is unignorable..

9. selfAdjoint

selfAdjoint 8,147
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Evidence for this: I think as a thinker he doesn't rise above a joke. But I can't resist posting on this thread about him!:surprised

10. russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

GWB maybe, but Newt is not in any position right now, and quite ignorable.

11. EL

EL 788
    Science Advisor

Never heard of the guy, so I'll just ignore him...

12. arildno

arildno 12,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, there was a time you couldn't ignore Ian Wachtmeister, wasn't it?

13. Newt always struck me as one of the guys who can't wait to tear down the Al-Aqsa Mosque so we can get on with the Rapture. :grumpy:

14. EL

EL 788
    Science Advisor

Haha, that was a sad story in Swedish politics...
    So you're telling me Gingrich is US' equivalent to Ian Wachtmeister? What a poor figure he must be then...

15. Never heard of either of them... :tongue:

16. EL

EL 788
    Science Advisor

You havn't missed anything...:wink:

17. arildno

arildno 12,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Intellectually at least, if not politically.

18. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13839698/

The only solice these days comes from hearing both dems and reps slam Bush. Of course the damage is already done.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  19. What a poor way to start a case for presidency. Though I guess he may not run at all. He did manage to say 'our bureaucracies are not responding fast enough'. Isn't that an oxymoron? And what is the definition of connectivity?

My best estimate is he is paving the way for a new line of Republicans, maybe a more dove-like contingency, to make a run at the whitehouse and the senate.

20. Sunday's "Meet the Press" was Best Debate in 10 Years

For those of your who were fortunate enough to see Sunday's "Meet the Press" program hosted by Tim Russert, it was nothing short of a "Presidential Debate" between Senator Joe Biden and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich. It was a no rhetoric nuts and bolts discussion.

The program echoed recent revellations that Hezbollah is a far more advanced and infiltrated organization than Al Queda. I was never convinced after 911 that Al Queda deserved the terror threat the Bush White House painted of them, and continues to today. But, Hezbollah, as the militant arm of Syria and Iran, this is REAL!

The topic and the mid-East conflict is very serious, and the two politicians debated in substantive form, agreeing on much of the foreign policy challenges facing the world. The key difference was in Gingrich's hawkish statement he would have hit N. Korea first weeks back when they launched a series of missiles. Biden spoke differently that such a U.S. attack would have caused N. Korea to invade the South. Gingrich also charply criticized the Bush White House.

I gave the advantage to Biden on the 30 minute debate, mostly for his more carefully thought out plans. Gingrich was well informed, but seemed willing to take on too many risks and assumptions.

So I ask, "Tis the pen mightier than the sword?"

21. i agree, we do live ininteresting times

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?