1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton-Raphson method in non-homogeneous poisson process

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The rate of occurrence of events in a non-homogeneous Poisson process is given by: λ(t)=12t e-2t.

(c) Find the p.d.f. of the time until the first event occurs after time t = 1.
    (e) After what time is it 95% certain that no further events will occur?

2. Relevant equations
    λ(t)=12t e-2t

3. The attempt at a solution
    After using integration by parts, I found μ(t) = -3e-2t(2t+1) to solve other parts of this question. I know part (e) requires the use of newton-raphson method but I have no idea how to go about. Any help will really be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

Newton-Raphson is a numerical method to estimate the zero of a function (i.e. find x such that f(x) = 0) to some desired accuracy. Are you having difficulty defining f(x) or applying NR or both?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  4. Nov 14, 2011 #3
    Both.

I know the probability of extinction by each generation can be calculated using Newton_Raphson method given p.g.f. and finding p and q, but I am not sure how to apply to this question.

5. Nov 14, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you trying to solve an equation? What IS the equation? Write it down in detail, so we have the basis for offering some advice.

RGV

6. Nov 16, 2011 #5
    I have managed to solve (c).

Here is the equation i got for (e):
    g(t) = (3 + 6t)e^-2t - 0.0513 = 0
    g'(t) = -12te^(-2t)
    tn+1 = tn - [(3 + 6tn)e^-2tn - 0.0513]/-12tne^(-2tn)

I am not sure how to proceed with NR to get the time of 95% certain?

7. Nov 16, 2011 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why the concentration on Newton-Raphson? Do you understand that you are just trying to solve the equation (3 + 6t)*exp(-2t) = 0.051293? Newton-Raphson (NR) is one way to do it, but there are many others. However, if you do want to use NR to solve the equation g(t) = 0, you just start with some initial guess, t0, then use the iteration scheme
    tn+1 = tn - g(tn)/g'(tn). What is stopping you from doing this?

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook