Newtonian derivation of Friedmann equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 10K views
Mike2
Messages
1,312
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to derive Friedmann's equation for cosmology using Newtonian physics. I've got the force equation F=ma for the case without a cosmological constant. But now I'm trying to incorporate the cosmological constant into this force equation.

But I'm having trouble seeing how the cosmological constant can appear to apply a force on some particle at the edge of a spherical universe of radius R. I thought that I might get somewhere through dimensional analysis if I could understant the units of the cosmological constant from its use in the Einstein Field Equation where it was initially introduced. But I find I don't know the units of any of the other entities in the EFE - the units for the metric gab or the Ricci tensor or the Ricci scalar or the energy-momentum tensor. Do the units change for different values of ab? It seems everyone likes using elaborate mathematics - and I don't see much practical use - not even dimensional units of the things they talk about. Any help out there? Thanks.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It isn't obvious that what you want to do is even possible. Why don't you do a course on general relativity first (or even just say the track one exercises in Misner, Wheeler & Thorne's book)?
 
cesiumfrog said:
It isn't obvious that what you want to do is even possible. Why don't you do a course on general relativity first (or even just say the track one exercises in Misner, Wheeler & Thorne's book)?
In the pdf file, starting with page 9, at:

http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~george/ay21/Ay21_Lecture02.pdf

the author derives the Friedmann equation from Newtonian mechanics using the force produced from the mass density of the universe.

And at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_Constant

the cosmological constant is expressed in terms of an energy density also as:

[tex]\[\Lambda = \frac{{8\pi G}}{{c^4 }}\rho vac\][/tex]

from which we can just as easily derive the Friedmann equation which includes the cosmological constant.

But I don't know how they got the last equation above. I think it may have something to do with the dimensional analysis of the terms in the Einstein field equations shown below. And I'm hoping someone here knows. Thank you.

[tex]\[Rab - \frac{1}{2}Rgab + \Lambda gab = 8\pi Tab\][/tex]
 
Last edited by a moderator: