Newton's 2nd Law/Coefficient of friction

• Thread starter aces9113
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the problem presents a sled on an inclined plane, held by a cord, and the goal is to find the angle of the plane. The data provided includes the magnitude of the force required for the cord, as well as the coefficient of static friction between the sled and the plane. However, the provided figure and calculations do not seem to result in a logical answer. Further assistance is needed to solve the problem.
aces9113

Homework Statement

In the figure a sled being held on an inclined plane by a cord pulling directly up the plane. The sled is to be on the verge of moving up the plane. In the lower figure data is plotted with the magnitude F required of the cord's force on the sled is plotted versus a range of values for the coeffient of static friction μs between sled and plane. F1 = 10.50 N, F2 = 26.25 N, and μ2 = 0.290. At what angle θ is the plane inclined? (deg)
http://nplq1.phyast.pitt.edu/res/sc/gblanpied/courses/usclib/hrw8/hrwpictures/hrw8c6f028.jpg
http://nplq1.phyast.pitt.edu/res/sc/gblanpied/courses/usclib/hrw8/hrwpictures/hrw8c6f034.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried pretty much everything i can think of on this problem and can't seem to get any answer that makes sense. I tried to set the acceleration equal to zero but i kind of think that in order to find the angle i would need the greatest static friction possible but i don't really know how to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cannot see the figure as it requires a login ID.

except the angle is not 20 deg but only theta in my picture

Can someone please help? I think I've fixed the link to the pictures and i still need assistance if possible

there is no figure...

1. What is Newton's 2nd Law?

Newton's 2nd Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate.

2. How is Newton's 2nd Law related to the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. According to Newton's 2nd Law, the force of friction is directly proportional to the normal force (the force perpendicular to the surface of contact) and the coefficient of friction. This means that the greater the coefficient of friction, the greater the force of friction and thus, the lower the acceleration of the object.

3. What is the formula for calculating Newton's 2nd Law?

The formula for Newton's 2nd Law is F = ma, where F is the net force applied to an object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the resulting acceleration. This formula can also be rearranged to calculate any of the variables, such as mass or acceleration, as long as the other two variables are known.

4. How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction is determined by conducting experiments in which the normal force and the force of friction are measured for different surfaces in contact. The coefficient of friction is then calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. The resulting value is a unitless number that represents the amount of resistance between the two surfaces.

5. How does Newton's 2nd Law apply to real-world situations?

Newton's 2nd Law has many real-world applications, such as predicting the motion of objects in a variety of situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the acceleration of a car based on the force of the engine and the mass of the car, or to determine the speed of an object as it falls due to gravity. It also helps engineers design structures and machines that can withstand different forces and accelerations.