Solving Frictionless Pulley System: Acceleration & Tension Force

In summary, the problem involves solving for acceleration and tension force in a frictionless pulley system with two masses. The equations of motion for each mass can be set up and then solved for a and T. The coefficient of friction and the grade level were also mentioned, but later clarified that the system is actually frictionless.
slobodan48

Homework Statement

Two masses are places in a frictionless pulley system. Solve for the acceleration and tension force. )its a pullz question and the mu=0.1

Homework Equations

So i know that Fg=MG
Fnet=ma
Ff=MFn
How can i solve this question? how come Fnet=Ft came out of nowhere?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems to be an Atwood machine problem, although I don't understand the last part of the problem statement.

You will want to set up the equations of motion for each mass. For mass m(1):

F1 = m(1)*a = T -m(1)*g = 0

For m(2):

F2 = m(2)*a = m(2)*g - T = 0

To solve for tension, first solve the two equations for acceleration (a) and then set them equal to each other. Then solve for T. For acceleration, solve the equation for T and set them equal to each other. Then solve for a.

well the mu is 0.1 and i don't know were did you get the m and t-m

slobodan48 said:
well the mu is 0.1 and i don't know were did you get the m and t-m

Here's where I'm getting confused. What is mu?

well it looks like a U,its the coefficent of friction, its grade 11 physics

slobodan48 said:
well it looks like a U,its the coefficent of friction, its grade 11 physics

But you said the system was frictionless.

shoot, my bad i was looking at the wrong question. sorry

1. What is a frictionless pulley system?

A frictionless pulley system is a system in which the pulley and string are assumed to have no friction, allowing for easier calculations and ideal results.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of a frictionless pulley system?

The acceleration of a frictionless pulley system can be calculated using the formula a = (m1 - m2)g/(m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects on either side of the pulley and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the equation for tension force in a frictionless pulley system?

The equation for tension force in a frictionless pulley system is T = m1a + m1g, where T is the tension force, m1 is the mass of the object on one side of the pulley, a is the acceleration, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the angle of the pulley affect the acceleration and tension force in a frictionless pulley system?

The angle of the pulley does not affect the acceleration or tension force in a frictionless pulley system. These quantities are only dependent on the masses of the objects and the force of gravity.

5. Are frictionless pulley systems realistic?

No, frictionless pulley systems are not realistic in the physical world. In real life, there is always some level of friction present, which can affect the results of the system. However, frictionless pulley systems are useful for theoretical calculations and understanding the principles of pulleys.