Newton's First Law: At Rest or In Motion?

In summary, according to Newton's first law, all objects will continue to remain at rest or in motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an outside or external force. The use of "unbalanced" versus "outside" or "external" may lead to varying interpretations, but the overall concept remains the same.
lightbender
For Newton's first law, which one is correct?

1. All objects that are at rest, stay at rest; all objects that are in motion stay in motion, unless acted upon an unbalanced force.

Or

2. All objects that are at rest, stay at rest; all objects that are in motion stay in motion, unless acted upon an outside force.

Thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
What do you think and why? It is not the purpose of this forum to spoon-feed answers. You need to make some effort yourself.

This is not a homework question!
I am just confused because some websites say number 1 while others say number 2

explain the difference between the two statements. What does an "outside force" mean, and what would an "unbalanced force" be?

I do not know!

lightbender said:
I do not know!

It is only 'words' that you appear to have a problem with.
Start from the standpoint that Newton One is probably right (go to a third source, perhaps) and see which of those two alternatives could be 'wrong' or just a strange way of putting it, in your view. Try to reconcile them together rather than looking for a wrong one.

lightbender said:
For Newton's first law, which one is correct?

1. All objects that are at rest, stay at rest; all objects that are in motion stay in motion, unless acted upon an unbalanced force.
2. All objects that are at rest, stay at rest; all objects that are in motion stay in motion, unless acted upon an outside force.

The two sentences are identical but for an adjective, unbalanced is not appropriate, according to Newtons original formulation outside/ external is more appropriate:
Lex I: Corpus omne perseverare in statu suo quiescendi vel movendi uniformiter in directum, nisi quatenus a viribus impressis cogitur statum illum mutare.
Law I: Every body persists in its state of being at rest or of moving uniformly in a straight line unless it is compelled to change its state by forces impressed.

1. What is Newton's First Law?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does Newton's First Law relate to everyday life?

Newton's First Law can be observed in everyday life, such as when a book remains on a table until someone or something moves it. It also explains why a moving car will continue to move forward even when the engine is turned off.

3. Can Newton's First Law be violated?

No, Newton's First Law is a fundamental law of physics and has been repeatedly proven through experiments and observations. It is considered a universal law and cannot be violated.

4. Does Newton's First Law only apply to objects on Earth?

No, Newton's First Law applies to all objects in the universe, regardless of their location or surroundings. It is a fundamental law of motion that applies to all types of matter.

5. How did Newton come up with his First Law?

Isaac Newton came up with his First Law of Motion through his study of forces and motion. He observed that objects tend to resist changes in their motion, which led him to formulate the concept of inertia and the First Law.