1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Laws: Finding the tension in a cord.

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 5.0-kg mass hangs at the end of a cord. Find the tensionin the cord if the acceleration of the mass is a)1.5 m/s squared up, b) 1.5 m/s squared down

Answers: a) 57 N; b)42 N

A sample question in our physics book is "An object of mass m is supported by a cord. Find the tension in the cord if the object is a) at rest, b) moving at a constant velocity, c) accelerating upward with acceleration a = 3g/2, and d) accelerating downward at a = 0.75g

a) ay = 0: FT - mg = may = 0 or FT = mg
    b) ay = 0: FT - mg = may = 0 or FT = mg
    c) ay = 3g/2: FT - mg = m(3g/2) or FT = 2.5mg
    d) ay = -3g/4: FT - mg = m(-3g/2)or FT = 0.25mg

2. Relevant equations
    The relevant equations are:

See 1

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know there is something I'm just not getting in this problem... It should be so simple but everytime i look at it and attempt it i just keep getting the wrong answer... Also in the sample problem, how are they getting 2.5 out of 3g/2??? It's just not clicking!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember f = ma and forces add so you have weight f = m g, and an extra force due to accelration f = m a.
    Think about wether acclerating up or down will make the tension more or less to tell you if you should add or subtract the second force.

4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    so basically all you do is add?

(mg) + (ma) = (5 x 9.8) + (5 x 1.5) = 56.5 ~57 N
    (mg) + (ma) = (5 x 9.8) + (5 x -1.5) = 41.5 ~42 N
    (mg) + (ma) = (5 x 9.8) + (5 x -9.8) = 0

ahh it makes so much sense now! i was so fixed on only using one equation. i never thought of using the 2 together. i was thinking too simple now. welli suppose i can blame my teacher for telling us to think simple. thank you!

5. Sep 23, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The trick to classical physics is
    1, draw a diagram
    2, don't do the maths until you understand whats happening
    3, it's generally simpler than you think

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?