Tangential velocity of rotating rod

In summary, the equations show that the tension in the string, N, and the final velocity of the rod, v_f, all depend on the angle theta. The final velocity can be calculated using the correct moment of inertia, which is determined by the rotation point of the rod.
lorenz0
Homework Statement
A homogeneous rod of mass ##m## and length ##L## can rotate without friction around the pin ##O##. The rod is balanced in the situation in the figure thanks to the presence of an ideal horizontal rope fixed to the vertical wall, which causes the angle between the wall and rod to be ##\theta##. Calculate: 1) Tension ##T## of the rope and the reaction ##N## of the pin; 2) the kinetic energy of the rod when it reaches the vertical position after the rope has been cut; 3) the tangential speed of the free end of the rod when it reaches the vertical position
Relevant Equations
##\tau=r\times F, F=ma, E=U_{grav}+E_K, E_{K_rot}=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2##
1) ##LT\sin(\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta)-\frac{L}{2}mg\sin\theta=0\Rightarrow T=\frac{mg}{2}\tan\theta##.

##N_{x}-T=0, N_{y}-mg=0\Rightarrow N=\sqrt{N_x ^2+N_y ^2}=mg\sqrt{(\frac{\tan\theta}{2})^2 +1}##

2) ##E_{k_{fin}}=mg\frac{L}{2}[1+\cos\theta]##

3) ##mg\frac{L}{2}[\cos\theta+1]=\frac{1}{2}I_O \omega_f^2=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{12}mL^2) \omega_f^2\Rightarrow \omega_f=\sqrt{\frac{12g[\cos\theta +1]}{L}}\Rightarrow v_f=L\omega_f=\sqrt{12gL[1+\cos\theta]}##

Now the first two results are correct, but for ##v_f## the book gives ##v_f=\sqrt{3gL[1+\cos\theta]}## and I don't see why so I would appreciate an explanation. Thanks

---

##mg\frac{L}{2}[\cos\theta+1]=\frac{1}{2}I_O \omega_f^2=\frac{1}{2}(I_{CM}+m(\frac{L}{2})^2 \omega_f^2=\frac{1}{2}((\frac{1}{12}+\frac{1}{4})mL^2 ) \omega_f^2=\frac{1}{6}mL^2\omega_f^2\Rightarrow \omega_f=\sqrt{\frac{3g[\cos\theta +1]}{L}}\Rightarrow v_f=L\omega_f=\sqrt{3gL[1+\cos\theta]}##

Attachments

• rotating_rod.png
    rotating_rod.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physically how could the result not depend upon theta?
How did you eliminate it?

hutchphd said:
Physically how could the result not depend upon theta?
How did you eliminate it?
I don't get what you are referring to: every single one of the results depends on ##\theta##.

lorenz0 said:
I don't get what you are referring to: every single one of the results depends on θ.
Oops sorry it got cut off on my display!

lorenz0 said:
##\dots## and I don't see why so I would appreciate an explanation. Thanks
You used the wrong moment of inertia. The rod is rotating about its end, not about its CM.

Likes hutchphd and lorenz0
kuruman said:
You used the wrong moment of inertia. The rod is rotating about its end, not about its CM.
Ah, of course! Such a stupid mistake. Thank you very much!

1. What is tangential velocity?

Tangential velocity is the linear speed at which a point on a rotating object moves along a tangent to its circular path.

2. How is tangential velocity calculated?

Tangential velocity can be calculated by multiplying the angular velocity (in radians per second) by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of interest on the object.

3. What is the relationship between tangential velocity and angular velocity?

Tangential velocity and angular velocity are directly proportional. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the tangential velocity also increases.

4. Can tangential velocity be negative?

Yes, tangential velocity can be negative if the direction of rotation is reversed. In this case, the point on the object is moving in the opposite direction of the tangent to its circular path.

5. How does the tangential velocity of a rotating rod change at different points on the rod?

The tangential velocity of a rotating rod is not constant along its length. It is highest at the point farthest from the axis of rotation and decreases as you move closer to the axis.