• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Newton's Laws Homework question: Double incline mass problem

Homework Statement

I have a double incline mass problem where Φ=43° and θ=20°, mass_A=1.00kg and they are connected by a massless string where the net force of each block is equal to 0.

Homework Equations

I believe I am to use newton's 2nd law to find the force of the tension which I have next to my FBD. Since they were both 0 I set them equal to each other as you can see the arrows are directing in the photo, but I'm kind of lead nowhere. :/ I'll post the photo in 3.

My equations are:
$$\vec {T}_1 = m_A g + \hline \vec {T}_1 \cos {\phi}$$
and
$$\vec{T}_2=m_Ag+\hline \vec{T}_2\cos{\theta}$$
which I set equal to each other. I think this is how I would describe ##\vec{T}_1## and ##\vec{T}_2## with vector addition.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Your first two images are behind some login barrier. Please upload them directly to the forum using the tools in the toolbar.

The image of your working is sideways-on and hard to read. The bits of equations I could decipher made no sense to me.
Start with one block. What are the forces acting on it? What equations can you write?
Please type in your answers. Images are for textbook extracts and diagrams.

Your first two images are behind some login barrier. Please upload them directly to the forum using the tools in the toolbar.
I'm not sure how to put them directly into the forum. I need a link, perhaps I could see if I could make this particular line public.

Edit: I guess i just figured it out, I will improve the equations now.

2ndEdit: I'm not sure how to fix my forumlas. I used the correct delimiters, but there is something else I'm not catching.

Attachments

Last edited:
haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm not sure how to put them directly into the forum. I need a link, perhaps I could see if I could make this particular line public.

Edit: I guess i just figured it out, I will improve the equations now.

2ndEdit: I'm not sure how to fix my forumlas. I used the correct delimiters, but there is something else I'm not catching.
I assumed you would be posting new equations. Are you still working on this?
You mention delimiters. Are you struggling with LaTeX?

Last edited:
SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I have a double incline mass problem where Φ=43° and θ=20°, mass_A=1.00kg and they are connected by a massless string where the net force of each block is equal to 0.

Homework Equations

I believe I am to use newton's 2nd law to find the force of the tension which I have next to my FBD. Since they were both 0 I set them equal to each other as you can see the arrows are directing in the photo, but I'm kind of lead nowhere. :/ I'll post the photo in 3.

My equations are:
$$\vec {T}_1 = m_A g +\color{red}{\text{ \hline }} \ \ \vec {T}_1 \cos {\phi}$$
and
$$\vec{T}_2=m_Ag+\color{red}{\text{ \hline} }\ \ \vec{T}_2\cos{\theta}$$
which I set equal to each other. I think this is how I would describe ##\vec{T}_1## and ##\vec{T}_2## with vector addition.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Nothing wrong with your LaTeX delimiters. I placed the \hline in a text box &colored it red.

I'm not sure what you were trying to do with the \hline command.

Those equations don't make much sense.