1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Theory of Gravity Problem help

1. Jul 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Two 100 kg lead spheres are suspended from 100-m-long massless cables. The tops of the cables have been carefully anchored exactly 1 m apart. What is the distance between the centers of the spheres?

2. Relevant equations
    F = (Gm1m2)/r^2 ????

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how this problem is related to Newton's theory and I am confused at this problem as I think the answer should simply be 1 meter because that is exactly how far the cables are anchored apart. Using the equation for F that I have provided I get 6.67x10^-7 N. This is the only equation we have really learned in class and I am unsure how this applies to the problem or how I use this to calculate the distance between the centers of the spheres. I feel dumb because this problem sounds so easy but I feel like I'm missing something. The book says it's a medium difficulty problem and that it requires material from earlier chapters but I'm not sure what. I would greatly appreciate any help on this to get me going. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi aarunt1! Welcome to PF! :smile:

The tops are a metre apart, but the cables can swing, so the bottoms can be nearer if the lead spheres attract each other.

Use trigonometry, and FBDs! :smile:

4. Jul 6, 2008 #3
    thanks for the welcome. I figured that the spheres would probably attract each other somewhat and I calculated the gravitational attraction (I believe) in my attempt at the solution please correct me if I am wrong tho. I am unsure how to calculate how far 6.67x10^-7 N would push each sphere in. Is there an equation I can use for this? Thanks!

5. Jul 6, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The cables are at an angle, so consider the tension in one of the cables … that's what the FBD is for! :wink:

6. Jul 6, 2008 #5
    I'm all for the FBD idea but I don't know how to get the angles. If they were provided in the equation that would be cake but I can't remember there being a way to calculate them. Sorry for being so noob I haven't used trig in a long time and it's over a year since I've taken a physics class.

7. Jul 7, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi aarunt1! :smile:

No problem … the sine of the angle (which is equal to the tangent for very small angles) is the horizontal displacement divided by the length of the cable. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?