Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NextNano3 simulation and some physics help

1. May 18, 2009 #1
    hi there,

Im currently working with the program nextnano3. It's a really nice program with which you can simulate nanowires, dots etc.

I currently made a sample of an InP nanowire, with 3 sided gates at the bottom of the wire. These dont touch the wire (10nm between them and the wire) on which i can apply a voltage. The electric field coming of them lets me 'pull' wells in the cond- and valence bands. In these wells, electrons can get 'stuck'. Now im changing the doping on the wire so that the fermi level and conductionband energy difference becomes smaller.
    I actually want the fermi level to lie within the well. If this happens, it actually indicates that the electrons can get stuck in the well.

Now a question: the program lets met apply different kinds of boundary conditions. An ohmic contact or a shottky barrier. This means that the contact between the metal gates and the SiO2 (between the gate and the wire) is one of the contacts i mentioned above.
    Now i would like to know what the difference is between these contacts, and if anyone knows which contacts are prefered for making a gated dot within the nanowire.
    The program only lets me apply a voltage to ohmic contacts, but with shottky barriers i van also tell the program what the barrier height is.

Does anyone have any experience with this, and maybe explain to me the difference between and ohmic contact and a shottky barrier.

if it isnt clear, ill gladly explain some more.

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted