NITRIC OXIDE CARDIO vascular system

• Medical
  • Thread starter djflush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for good papers on a molecule involved in vasodilation in the cardiovascular system. The molecule is known as an endothelium-derived vasodilator and plays a role in upregulating the conversion of GMP to cyclic GMP, leading to smooth muscle relaxation. The individual is seeking a better understanding of the molecule's purpose and is looking for graphs to aid in explanation. It is suggested that a textbook may be more helpful in gaining a comprehensive understanding of the topic.
djflush
any ideas of good papers on this molecule in the cardiovascular system vasodilation etc

Biology news on Phys.org
well basically I am trying to gain a good understanding of the area using papers.Like i know its an endothelium derived vasodilator. Also that NO upregulates the conversion of GMP to cyclic GMP, and cGMP fuels Protein Kinase G, which phosphorylates...something I forget what, which decreases intracellular calcium. Calcium is what ultimately contracts your smooth muscle, so when intracellular calcium is decreased, you have smooth muscle relaxation.But I am trying to find out more about its purpose in the cardiovascular system while using papers to help explain it.Also if i can find graphs this would be a bonus as it may make some ponits more clear.Any help would be really appreciated.

You need a textbook more than a smattering of papers. I'll look around. Maybe Moonbear or someone else is more current with this area and can suggest something better.

What is nitric oxide and how does it impact the cardiovascular system?

Nitric oxide is a gas that is naturally produced by the body and acts as a signaling molecule in various physiological processes, including vasodilation. In the cardiovascular system, nitric oxide helps to relax and widen blood vessels, thus improving blood flow to organs and tissues. This can have a positive impact on blood pressure and overall cardiovascular health.

What are the main sources of nitric oxide in the body?

The body produces nitric oxide through the conversion of the amino acid L-arginine by the enzyme nitric oxide synthase. This process primarily occurs in the endothelial cells lining blood vessels. Nitric oxide can also be found in certain foods, such as leafy greens, beets, and nuts.

What are the potential benefits of nitric oxide on the cardiovascular system?

Research has shown that nitric oxide can have a range of benefits on the cardiovascular system, including reducing blood pressure, improving blood flow, and preventing the formation of blood clots. It may also have anti-inflammatory effects and contribute to the repair and maintenance of blood vessels.

What are the risks of nitric oxide on the cardiovascular system?

While nitric oxide is generally considered safe and beneficial for the cardiovascular system, excessive amounts can be harmful. High levels of nitric oxide can lead to oxidative stress, which can damage cells and tissues. Additionally, certain medical conditions, such as heart disease and diabetes, may affect the body's ability to produce and utilize nitric oxide.

Can nitric oxide be used as a treatment for cardiovascular diseases?

Some studies have suggested that increasing nitric oxide levels in the body may have therapeutic potential for certain cardiovascular conditions, such as high blood pressure and atherosclerosis. However, more research is needed to determine the effectiveness and safety of using nitric oxide as a treatment for these diseases.