Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical NITRIC OXIDE CARDIO vascular system

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    any ideas of good papers on this molecule in the cardiovascular system vasodilation etc

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jan 23, 2008 #3
    well basically im trying to gain a good understanding of the area using papers.Like i know its an endothelium derived vasodilator. Also that NO upregulates the conversion of GMP to cyclic GMP, and cGMP fuels Protein Kinase G, which phosphorylates...something I forget what, which decreases intracellular calcium. Calcium is what ultimately contracts your smooth muscle, so when intracellular calcium is decreased, you have smooth muscle relaxation.But im trying to find out more about its purpose in the cardiovascular system while using papers to help explain it.Also if i can find graphs this would be a bonus as it may make some ponits more clear.Any help would be really appreciated.

5. Jan 23, 2008 #4

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need a textbook more than a smattering of papers. I'll look around. Maybe Moonbear or someone else is more current with this area and can suggest something better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?