1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No Astrophysics classes at my school

1. Jul 25, 2012 #1
    I'm still an undergraduate in Physics and decided that Astrophysics is a very interesting possibility to focus on. The bad part is that my school (UIC) does not offer any classes close to Astronomy/Astrophysics other than a 100-level course with the description "Astronomy in the context of the scientific process, history and current events. Covers the Solar System, stars and galaxies and the origin and fate of the universe."

If I wanted to apply to a graduate school for Astrophysics, I would not have any experience in that field. Right now I'm working with a professor on some Interface research which would mostly be Condensed Matter. I'm pretty sure that this provides little to no experience with how Astro works. Is there any way for me to gain some experience with Astro and look better for graduate schools with this lack of options?

Edit: There is a 400-level Intro Geophysics course here. I'm not sure how much that applies but that is an option.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2
    You could do an REU in astrophysics, if you still have time.

4. Jul 25, 2012 #3
    I don't really have anymore time for an reu as my next summer will be filled with classes.

When I graduate I am planning on taking a year off to study fully for the gre. Would getting some kind of reu with a BS in physics be possible or is it mostly for undergrads?

5. Jul 25, 2012 #4
    You cannot do an REU if you already have your degree, it is only for undergrads. That doesn't mean you can't get a different research position, but I think it might be difficult outside of your own school.

6. Jul 25, 2012 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

courses in nuclear physics, atomic physics, plasma physics all can be useful to the aspiring astrophysicist, look around at your university.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook