No charge polarization on positronium in p-orbital state ?

In summary, in hydrogen with its electron in the p-orbital, there is a charge polarization where the negative charge is on the poles and the positive charge is on the equator. This is also the case for positronium in the p-orbital state, where there is a non-zero electric dipole moment with one pole being negative and the other being positive, while the equator remains neutral. This is due to the fact that the positron and electron are equidistant from their center of mass.
xortdsc
Hi,

as I understand it, in hydrogen with its electron in the p-orbital there is a charge polarization (negative in the direction of the dumb-bell orbitals, positive in the other directions).
Is this also the case for positronium in the p-orbital state ? I'd guess there cannot be any polarization, because the positron must always be on the opposite side as the electron (relative to their common center of mass). Is that right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
xortdsc said:
as I understand it, in hydrogen with its electron in the p-orbital there is a charge polarization (negative in the direction of the dumb-bell orbitals, positive in the other directions).
Is this also the case for positronium in the p-orbital state ? I'd guess there cannot be any polarization, because the positron must always be on the opposite side as the electron (relative to their common center of mass). Is that right ?
If by charge polarization you mean electric dipole moment, then its nonzero for positronium in a p-state. Positive charge on one side, negative charge on the other, and the two particles are equidistant from their center of mass. That's an electric dipole.

yes, electric dipole moment is the proper term i was looking for.
Just to make sure I got it conceptually: So for hydrogen the negative charge is on the 2 "poles" and the positive charge is on the "equator", while for positronium there is one pole negative and one pole positive while the equator is neutral ?

Last edited:

1. What is positronium in p-orbital state?

Positronium is a short-lived atom consisting of an electron and its antiparticle, the positron. In a p-orbital state, the electron and positron are in a state of equal energy and orbital angular momentum.

2. What is charge polarization?

Charge polarization refers to the redistribution of electric charge within a molecule or atom, resulting in a separation of positive and negative charges. This can occur when an external electric field is applied to the system.

3. Why is there no charge polarization on positronium in p-orbital state?

In positronium, the electron and positron have equal and opposite charges, causing the overall charge of the atom to be neutral. Therefore, there is no separation of charges and no charge polarization.

4. How does the absence of charge polarization affect positronium in p-orbital state?

The lack of charge polarization in positronium in p-orbital state means that it is an unpolarized system. This can have implications for its interactions with other particles and its stability as an atom.

5. What are the potential applications of studying no charge polarization on positronium in p-orbital state?

Understanding the behavior of positronium in p-orbital state can have applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and materials science. It can also provide insight into the properties of antiparticles and their interactions with matter.