No charge polarization on positronium in p-orbital state ?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
xortdsc
Messages
98
Reaction score
0
Hi,

as I understand it, in hydrogen with its electron in the p-orbital there is a charge polarization (negative in the direction of the dumb-bell orbitals, positive in the other directions).
Is this also the case for positronium in the p-orbital state ? I'd guess there cannot be any polarization, because the positron must always be on the opposite side as the electron (relative to their common center of mass). Is that right ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
xortdsc said:
as I understand it, in hydrogen with its electron in the p-orbital there is a charge polarization (negative in the direction of the dumb-bell orbitals, positive in the other directions).
Is this also the case for positronium in the p-orbital state ? I'd guess there cannot be any polarization, because the positron must always be on the opposite side as the electron (relative to their common center of mass). Is that right ?
If by charge polarization you mean electric dipole moment, then its nonzero for positronium in a p-state. Positive charge on one side, negative charge on the other, and the two particles are equidistant from their center of mass. That's an electric dipole.
 
yes, electric dipole moment is the proper term i was looking for.
Just to make sure I got it conceptually: So for hydrogen the negative charge is on the 2 "poles" and the positive charge is on the "equator", while for positronium there is one pole negative and one pole positive while the equator is neutral ?
 
Last edited: