1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No Divisors Between an Integer and Twice it

1. Nov 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that ##x \in \mathbb{N}## is such that ##n < x < 2n##, where ##n## is another natural number. I want to conclude that it is impossible for ##x## to divide ##2n##. Also, is there a way to naturally generalize this to all integers?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since ##x \in (n,2n)##< then ##x = n + \ell## for some natural number ##\ell \in (0,n)##. Now, suppose the contrary, that ##x## divides ##2n##. Then ##2n = k(n + \ell)## for some ##k \in \mathbb{Z}##. Immediately we can say that ##k## must be a positive integer. Rearranging the equation gives

##n(2-k) = k(n+\ell)##

If ##k## is either ##1## or ##2##, then we get ##n = \ell## or ##2 \ell = 0##, both of which are contradictions. If ##k > 2##, then the LHS will be negative but the RHS will be positive, a contradiction.

How do I make this a little more rigorous?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

##2n = k(n + \ell) \nRightarrow n(2-k) = k(n+\ell)## and I don't see why you may assume ##k \in \{1,2\}##.
    However, I don't think ##\ell## is needed at all. What do you get by simply assuming ##xk=2n##?

4. Nov 4, 2016 #3
    Whoops! Rearranging the equation should actually give ##n(2-k) = k \ell##. And I am not not assuming that ##k## always takes the values ##1## and ##2##: I was just considering special cases.

To answer your question, I don't know what ##xk=2n## implies.

5. Nov 4, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I meant, if you substituted ##x## by ##\frac{2n}{k}## in your assumption ##n<x<2n##, you could divide the whole thing by ##n## and see where it get's you to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted