No seriously; Can we, maybe, go to the past?

• Thread starter Spirit
  • Start date
In summary, someone can go to the future and see something, then come back to a certain point in the past and tell people what has happened there. However, this is not possible because of physical concerns like practical generation of energy required.
Spirit
Hello everyone,

Perhaps it has been asked many times in the past, so please forgive me, and I appreciate your effort in helping me;

In simple words: Can someone travel to point A the future, sees something, then come back to a certain point 'B' that is considered in the past of point A, and tells people what has happened there.

I know there is a lot of science fiction about it, but I really want to know what real science speaks about it.

[For example, 2+2=5 will never happen, no matter how advanced science will reach, I think. Since it's bounded to logic, too...etc]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert, but there are various mathematical theories that say that time-travel is possible, but those are not realizable because of physical concerns like practical generation of energy required.

There are some people looking into building signaling devices, so that even if you couldn't go back in time as a whole you might be able to send a message back in time. Try looking into the laser time-machine thread also in this forum.

If I get a chance to go to the past, I'll be sure to sabatoge the romantic relationship between my mother and father (i wouldn't want to kill them, but that would be a method of doing it) and see what happens.

rbj said:
If I get a chance to go to the past, I'll be sure to sabatoge the romantic relationship between my mother and father (i wouldn't want to kill them, but that would be a method of doing it) and see what happens.

The literature does discuss this issue somewhat, but of course human beings are too complex to model with physics. Similar paradoxes can be set up with billiard balls, however. A good (though technical) place to start is

http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRD/v44/i4/p1077_1

1. Can we really go to the past?

As of now, time travel to the past is not possible. The laws of physics, specifically the concept of causality, do not allow for backwards time travel. So, while it is a popular concept in science fiction, it is not possible with our current understanding of science.

2. Is there any scientific evidence or research on time travel to the past?

There have been numerous theories and mathematical models proposed for time travel, but none have been scientifically proven. Some theories, like the concept of wormholes, suggest the possibility of time travel, but further research is needed to validate these theories.

3. Can we at least travel to the future?

Yes, time dilation is a well-established concept in physics that allows for time travel to the future. This is based on the theory of relativity and has been observed in experiments involving high-speed travel and gravitational fields.

4. Are there any potential dangers or consequences of time travel?

The concept of time travel to the past raises many ethical and logical concerns. It could potentially create paradoxes, alter the course of history, and disrupt the natural order of events. Additionally, the technology and energy required for time travel may be beyond our current capabilities and could have unforeseen consequences.

5. Will time travel ever be possible in the future?

As scientists continue to study and understand the laws of physics, it is possible that new discoveries and technologies may make time travel a reality. However, it is unlikely that it will be possible in the same way as depicted in science fiction. Time travel, if possible, may have limitations and restrictions that we cannot predict at this time.